Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been riding dirtbikes for a couple of years now and I wanted to move to the street so I had the bright idea to buy a project 2008 gsxr 600 that "just need a waterpump" so I put a new one in and went to flush out the radiator and I drained right out of the oil drain plug. So I was wondering if it would be better to see if the head gasket is bad or if it has a cracked head if i were to fix it where is the best place for parts. Thanks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
While you're waiting for replies, you could use the search function at the top of the page for "water in oil". There's plenty of info on this site. I did a quick search and found this one which might be of some help.
07 gsxr 750 coolant in engine oil what to do

Unfortunately the original poster never came back to tell us what the problem was. But still, there is some good advice there which might be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
8,884 Posts
So I have been riding dirtbikes for a couple of years now and I wanted to move to the street so I had the bright idea to buy a project 2008 gsxr 600 that "just need a waterpump" so I put a new one in and went to flush out the radiator and I drained right out of the oil drain plug. So I was wondering if it would be better to see if the head gasket is bad or if it has a cracked head if i were to fix it where is the best place for parts. Thanks!!
Welcome.

I'm guessing you don't have a good history on the bike.

The most common reason for a massive coolant leak into the crankcase is that one or more of the expansion plugs in the head/camshaft area are either pushed out because the coolant froze or rusted through.

Fortunately, this is not too big of a repair. Pull off the valve cover, add water to the radiator and watch.

It could be something worse (i.e. frozen, cracked cylinder) but check here first. A head gasket would be down the list as they generally leak slower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome.

I'm guessing you don't have a good history on the bike.

The most common reason for a massive coolant leak into the crankcase is that one or more of the expansion plugs in the head/camshaft area are either pushed out because the coolant froze or rusted through.

Fortunately, this is not too big of a repair. Pull off the valve cover, add water to the radiator and watch.

It could be something worse (i.e. frozen, cracked cylinder) but check here first. A head gasket would be down the list as they generally leak slower.
Interestingly, this video was uploaded yesterday.
It might be worth while for the OP to check it out before ripping into the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts