Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO IT WONT START THIS IS WHAT IVE DONE SO FAR ...

BATTERY FINE
SOLENOID FINE
STARTER FINE
CLUTCH SWITCH FINE
FUSE SOLENOID FINE
FUSE STARTER IGN FINE

I have checked the solenoid outside of the bike, put 12v across the two yellow wires respectively, as states in workshop manual, relay clicks fine, checked continuity of the relay when actuated, and resistance which is around 2 to 3 ohms ,
I then put the solenoid back in the bike whilst having the thick gauge cable connected properly, I fed a direct 12v to the yellow wires, the starter turns over fine, and healthy, this proves solenoid is actuating and starter is also turning,
so now I put the mutil connector back in (which has the two yellow with stripes cables and two red condition cables) turn the key and press starter but nothing happens no clicks or nothing.
So I unplug the clutch switch connector check the continuity from both of it ports to the battery negative ground all fine, i then put a jumper cable in the connector to isolate the use and mimic clutch switch pulled position, once again I tried to start with the key on i can hear the pump is working, but won't click or turnover, when starter button pressed . (before anybody asks engine stop switch is in ON position when tried as opposed to kill position )
I know the engine cut of switch is working because it activates the pump clearly audiable when switch on off.
Fuse on solenoid checked ok
Starter fuse checked OK
What I haven't checked yet is the side stand switch , starter switch, anything else ? I should check ?
Any advice please ??

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
If the fuel pump is cycling, then the side stand switch and relay are fine.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

With key on, you should have 12v to one side of the starter relay control circuit (yellow/green wire I think) when the starter button is pressed. The other side is the ground which is provided through the clutch safety switch when the clutch lever is pulled back and the switch closes. Yes, it is a NC switch.

Reactions: capofarukgb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the fuel pump is cycling, then the side stand switch and relay are fine.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

With key on, you should have 12v to one side of the starter relay control circuit (yellow/green wire I think) when the starter button is pressed. The other side is the ground which is provided through the clutch safety switch when the clutch lever is pulled back and the switch closes. Yes, it is a NC switch.
Is that case no point checking side stand switch, the pump is cycling OK, any suggestion? starter switch ? anything else ?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
When is the last time it worked correctly? Any changes of add ons since then?

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Is that case no point checking side stand switch, the pump is cycling OK, any suggestion? starter switch ? anything else ?
It's pretty basic electrical trouble shooting. You are either not getting power to the relay or not getting a ground.

12v comes from the kill switch to the starter button to the relay. If everything else is lighting up and the fuel pump cycling, then the kill switch is fine. So start switch, connectors, wiring. As I said before, check for 12v at the relay plug when you press the starter switch.

On the other side (Black/white wire I think) you need to check for ground when the clutch lever is pulled back.

Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's pretty basic electrical trouble shooting. You are either not getting power to the relay or not getting a ground.

12v comes from the kill switch to the starter button to the relay. If everything else is lighting up and the fuel pump cycling, then the kill switch is fine. So start switch, connectors, wiring. As I said before, check for 12v at the relay plug when you press the starter switch.

On the other side (Black/white wire I think) you need to check for ground when the clutch lever is pulled back.
Listen to this guy (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So tried starter switch and replaced with a new still no change ....

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Same advice. Wiring diagram, multi meter and find out why there is no power to, or ground to the starter relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Double Triple and quadriple checks, also by an engineer friend of mine, all little switches tested working ok we even chnaged the battery to something showing 13v instead of the original 12.4v, only thing is left gp switch not sure how this can be tested as it has three wires, ignition switch again not sure how an ignition switch can be tested.

ps gp switch shows neutral light so I don't if this indicates if the switch is working or not
TOS tip over switch has three cables too, not sure how to test it, though if the tip over switch is faulty, would the pump come on ? because I can hear the pump working

no 12v across yellow green and yellow black cable of the solenoid

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Same advice. If you don't have 12v across the two control wires to the solenoid you are missing the ground on the B/Y or the power on the Y/G, or both. Which is it? Get another engineer friend, this one does not know how to blow the whistle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fuel pump or Injectors? Sparkplugs and coils? Fuses? The engine still turns? Tried rolling it while in gear to free up any binding on the starter?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts