Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the keys to my 2014 gsxr 750 so I bought a new ignition off eBay I had it installed and the F1 light keeps flashing and the bike won't turn over. The guy who put the ignition in is saying the computer is shot??? I'm skeptical as I've only had the bike a few months. Is there a way to test the computer device?

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
I lost the keys to my 2014 gsxr 750 so I bought a new ignition off eBay I had it installed and the F1 light keeps flashing and the bike won't turn over. The guy who put the ignition in is saying the computer is shot??? I'm skeptical as I've only had the bike a few months. Is there a way to test the computer device?
Welcome.

First do not use that "guy" for work on your bike.

Second, either buy an OEM switch set that has the correct resistor built in so the bike will start or take you ignition switch to a locksmith so they can make a key.

Third, throw the Ebay POS in the trash.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I believe yours is a model that has an immobilizer key. A good locksmith will know how to get a set of keys made for you (the OEM blanks run about $40) but it'll also have to be programmed like cars do so that'll probably be extra $. Not sure the ebay switch will work but a good Suzuki mechanic would be able to tell you. Have you tried putting it in dealer mode to get the fault code?

About the computer, losing a key doesn't fry them but incorrectly installing electrical components and applying power to the circuits can. If you know anyone that flashes ECU's they should be able to do a Read ECU on it to see if the bin file is still there. If your guy fried some internal circuits in the ECU it probably won't be readable, and you'll be looking for a replacement ECU because a bin file won't be able to be flashed into it. I picked up a good spare ECU from a guy (Jim Williamson) on Facebook for $150 and have been playing with flashing it, it's pretty easy to do. Not saying that's what you need, it's just the only way I know of to see if an ECU is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

First do not use that "guy" for work on your bike.

Second, either buy an OEM switch set that has the correct resistor built in so the bike will start or take you ignition switch to a locksmith so they can make a key.

Third, throw the Ebay POS in the trash.
Thanks so much. He has the ECU pulled out of the bike and no one can test it without it being in the bike smfh he's got our torn down so I'll stop by and get myold ignition and head to the locksmith should have done that to begin with

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe yours is a model that has an immobilizer key. A good locksmith will know how to get a set of keys made for you (the OEM blanks run about $40) but it'll also have to be programmed like cars do so that'll probably be extra $. Not sure the ebay switch will work but a good Suzuki mechanic would be able to tell you. Have you tried putting it in dealer mode to get the fault code?

About the computer, losing a key doesn't fry them but incorrectly installing electrical components and applying power to the circuits can. If you know anyone that flashes ECU's they should be able to do a Read ECU on it to see if the bin file is still there. If your guy fried some internal circuits in the ECU it probably won't be readable, and you'll be looking for a replacement ECU because a bin file won't be able to be flashed into it. I picked up a good spare ECU from a guy (Jim Williamson) on Facebook for $150 and have been playing with flashing it, it's pretty easy to do. Not saying that's what you need, it's just the only way I know of to see if an ECU is bad.
It sounds like we have a mess on our hands I'm so aggravated at this point. Your not in North Carolina are u?? I need some motorcycle smart friends my finance just knows how to ride the hell out of them then we obviously trust the wrong people to do the what we thought was simple work. I would love to find out if this ECU is bad but the dealership says it must be in the bike and they charge$80 to test that's almost half of purchasing a new one!! I just told the guy I was coming to get my old ignition and he's trying to say it's broke!? I'm getting more and more frustrated by the moment!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like we have a mess on our hands I'm so aggravated at this point. Your not in North Carolina are u?? I need some motorcycle smart friends my finance just knows how to ride the hell out of them then we obviously trust the wrong people to do the what we thought was simple work. I would love to find out if this ECU is bad but the dealership says it must be in the bike and they charge$80 to test that's almost half of purchasing a new one!! I just told the guy I was coming to get my old ignition and he's trying to say it's broke!? I'm getting more and more frustrated by the moment!!
Idk how to put it In dealer mode. If the ECU is bad will the bike still turn over or will there be nothing? He doesn't think he's done anything to blow the ECU but I'm being told it can't be tested out of the bike?? I'm a bit skeptical about the person who has my bike now!! Ugh

·
Registered
960 Posts
You should just go get your bike, and ALL of it's parts. Never trust a shop. You may have to RELY on them once in a while, but never TRUST them...

Reactions: HydeWhyte

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Idk how to put it In dealer mode. If the ECU is bad will the bike still turn over or will there be nothing? He doesn't think he's done anything to blow the ECU but I'm being told it can't be tested out of the bike?? I'm a bit skeptical about the person who has my bike now!! Ugh
For dealer mode, search Youtube for a video. It's easy. There's a capped white SDS plug near your battery and some use a paperclip or jumper wire to jump the two connectors in the plug but I use one of these. https://www.woolichracing.com/products/suzuki/gsx-r-750/2018/1057/suzuki-dealer-mode-harness-type-1.aspx

I normally connect to my ECU right on the bike but for bench testing I could use this

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
You should just go get your bike, and ALL of it's parts. Never trust a shop. You may have to RELY on them once in a while, but never TRUST them...
That's good advice. I haven't gone to a dealer yet but when I have to I'll drive past 5-10 of them on the way to DFW to get to a reputable one.

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Am I missing something here. You lost the key bought a switch from eBay it doesn’t work because either it doesn’t have the correct resistor or your bike has a chipped key. And now you/they say the ECU is bad. Why would the ECU be bad because you lost keys?? I’m at a loss. IF THE BIKE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU LOST KEYS THE BIKE IS STILL FINE. You just need the correct switch/keys. Think about it. Get the bike back from wherever it is and start over. When you get it sorted out get a spare key made for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For dealer mode, search Youtube for a video. It's easy. There's a capped white SDS plug near your battery and some use a paperclip or jumper wire to jump the two connectors in the plug but I use one of these. https://www.woolichracing.com/products/suzuki/gsx-r-750/2018/9/suzuki-bench-harness-type-3.aspx

I normally connect to my ECU right on the bike but for bench testing I could use this
Thanks so much. We'll give this a try!!
Am I missing something here. You lost the key bought a switch from eBay it doesn’t work because either it doesn’t have the correct resistor or your bike has a chipped key. And now you/they say the ECU is bad. Why would the ECU be bad because you lost keys?? I’m at a loss. IF THE BIKE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU LOST KEYS THE BIKE IS STILL FINE. You just need the correct switch/keys. Think about it. Get the bike back from wherever it is and start over. When you get it sorted out get a spare key made for it.
Yes u got it! That's what I was saying!! I called the guy back to tell him I was coming to get the original ignition to get a key made and he's saying it was broke when he took it out.....yea right!!! I'm pissed! A new one from Suzuki is $385!! So we are back to square one with trying to figure out how to make this ignition from eBay work or to discard and buy one from Suzuki this guy's not going to admit breaking it and that's not something that's going to break on it own smh
Yes that's exactly right and that's what we said! I called him this morning to tell him I was coming to get the original ignition so I can go get a key made and he said when he pulled it from the bike it was broke....yea right I'm pissed that's not something that breaks unless it's being tampered with he broke that shit trying to get it out. So now I guess we are back to square one trying to make the ignition from eBay work or having to order one from Suzuki for $385

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much. We'll give this a try!!

Yes u got it! That's what I was saying!! I called the guy back to tell him I was coming to get the original ignition to get a key made and he's saying it was broke when he took it out.....yea right!!! I'm pissed! A new one from Suzuki is $385!! So we are back to square one with trying to figure out how to make this ignition from eBay work or to discard and buy one from Suzuki this guy's not going to admit breaking it and that's not something that's going to break on it own smh

Yes that's exactly right and that's what we said! I called him this morning to tell him I was coming to get the original ignition so I can go get a key made and he said when he pulled it from the bike it was broke....yea right I'm pissed that's not something that breaks unless it's being tampered with he broke that shit trying to get it out. So now I guess we are back to square one trying to make the ignition from eBay work or having to order one from Suzuki for $385 I tried to include a pic of what he sent me but it says security error!!?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Did you go and get it? What is he saying is "broken" about your ignition? It may not be broken at all. Or, they fucked it up, and then maybe you could find a used one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you go and get it? What is he saying is "broken" about your ignition? It may not be broken at all. Or, they fucked it up, and then maybe you could find a used one?
No I haven't they weren't home smh the bracket that bolts on is broke off I tried to upload a pic but it won't let me. Yes im sure he fucked it up by probably trying to beat the ignition switch out of the hole but he's saying it was broke when he took it out yea bc he broke it we are heading over there now I'm assuming he doesn't want to see my man bc he knows broke it but hes such a honest man smh it's probably not a good idea to jb weld it huh??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts