Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 GSXR 1000 (840 miles now)
Along with numerous other problems I am still dealing with, I am having what I consider a rough/clunky trans/clutch.

I have adjusted the clutch lever, chain slack, throttle play, and shift linkage (both GP and standard shift)

When leaving a dead stop normally: I begin releasing the clutch smoothly along with applying throttle, I then feel a clunk and the bike begins to move, then as I am fully releasing the clutch along with more throttle the bike hesitates and sometimes does a small lurking motion.

While riding:

-shifting all gears below 5k without using the cutch I can slowly or aggressively push on the shifter and instead of a firm grab of the next gear I feel a click in my foot that either stops or can sometimes continue (Its not a solid shift).

-shifting using the clutch in all gears the problem does not appear as much if at all especially above 5k, however I do feel a slight double click sometimes coming back down through the gears.

-as I climb through the revs at a moderate pace I blip the throttle, shift, then apply smooth throttle. The bike hesitates then does 1 of 3 things: smooth transition, small lurk, or small bucking as if the clutch has not re-engaged.

I am running it by a dealer today but not the one I bought it through and they have already told me they don't feel they should cater to me because I didn't buy it from them so I don't know if they will be any help.

Any ideas or info on this would be very appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
2017 GSXR 1000 (840 miles now)
Along with numerous other problems I am still dealing with, I am having what I consider a rough/clunky trans/clutch.

I have adjusted the clutch lever, chain slack, throttle play, and shift linkage (both GP and standard shift)

When leaving a dead stop normally: I begin releasing the clutch smoothly along with applying throttle, I then feel a clunk and the bike begins to move, then as I am fully releasing the clutch along with more throttle the bike hesitates and sometimes does a small lurking motion.

While riding:

-shifting all gears below 5k without using the cutch I can slowly or aggressively push on the shifter and instead of a firm grab of the next gear I feel a click in my foot that either stops or can sometimes continue (Its not a solid shift).

-shifting using the clutch in all gears the problem does not appear as much if at all especially above 5k, however I do feel a slight double click sometimes coming back down through the gears.

-as I climb through the revs at a moderate pace I blip the throttle, shift, then apply smooth throttle. The bike hesitates then does 1 of 3 things: smooth transition, small lurk, or small bucking as if the clutch has not re-engaged.

I am running it by a dealer today but not the one I bought it through and they have already told me they don't feel they should cater to me because I didn't buy it from them so I don't know if they will be any help.

Any ideas or info on this would be very appreciated!!!
It's unclear to me in your third paragraph whether the clutch engagement is the issue or that the engine is hesitating.

Regarding your double click feel. All gears or just 1st to 2nd? (that would be normal)

In your 6th? paragraph on upshifts. Why are you blipping on upshifts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its almost acting like the motor is hesitating which is entirely possible and has been doing it since I pulled away from the dealer. That said it also feels as if the clutch has not full engaged then all of the sudden it decides to. These issues are very hard to describe and consistently duplicate, its a constantly moving target.

Most of the double clicking is 2nd-6th but most noticeable in 4th-6th.

I have always blipped the throttle or used the clutch without a quick shifter. How do you? Do you just click through the gears without a QS?

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I would lean towards the throttle being a bit choppy off idle as that has been a consistent issue for over 10 years on some bikes. My K6 750 has just a bit of hesitation off idle but I work around it and it is not an issue. I'm heard a flash that eliminates the decel idle fuel cut off takes care of this problem. The decel idle fuel cut off is an emissions thing that almost all fuel injected bikes use. Some makes handle it better than others.

On up shifts the motor rpm needs to decrease to match transmission speeds. Otherwise there is no need to blip on the upshift. I usually load the shifter a bit, back the throttle off a little at the same time I feather the clutch just till the bike shifts.

I sometimes do a clutchless upshift just by loading the shifter and backing off the throttle (1/4-1/2 turn?) till it shifts.

The blip on downshift is to increase the engine rpm to match the transmission speed for smooth engagement and to help prevent the rear wheel skipping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes everything I see suggest that these bikes badly need a flash then a tune which is unfortunate. Even riding it away from the dealer it felt bad with the off throttle decal.

Sounds like we shift fairly similar. I took it to a dealer yesterday and he said the double clicking is most likely the detent.

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/597210d687a8660d2849cdee/gear-shifting

Parts number 7 and 16. This is not an issue I have run into before and would not have though to look here.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I've not read of a "double click" shifting symptom like you have since I've been on the forum.

The dealer is probably right to check that area as those parts index the shift drum to the correct position and provide the "feel".

The question is why is it doing this? Being a 2017, I'm guessing you bought it used so don't know the history.

The only things I can guess why this would happen would be the #13 bolt coming loose or the #12 spring broken or possibly something in the #15/#16 mechanism being bent from abuse.

The good part is that these parts are pretty easy to get to and inspect or replace if needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not read of a "double click" shifting symptom like you have since I've been on the forum.

The dealer is probably right to check that area as those parts index the shift drum to the correct position and provide the "feel".

The question is why is it doing this? Being a 2017, I'm guessing you bought it used so don't know the history.

The only things I can guess why this would happen would be the #13 bolt coming loose or the #12 spring broken or possibly something in the #15/#16 mechanism being bent from abuse.

The good part is that these parts are pretty easy to get to and inspect or replace if needed.
I bought it new from the dealer with 0 miles. There is about 10 of them from 2017 on the Gulf coast that have not sold. Boats are more of a thing down here than sport bikes.

All my years on motorcycles and I have never seen this problem either, but years ago when I still worked at a dealership Suzuki told us to not let people shift the bikes on the floor without the motorcycle running to prevent trans damage, so I guess this could be what they were talking about. I figured it had something to do with the shift drum since I have dealt with bent shift forks before and the symptoms don't line up with that problem.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Wouldn't this be a warranty issue? I know you mentioned that you did not buy it from your local dealer so I'm guessing they are not jumping up and down to find out what the problem is.

Did the dealer you just had it to ride the bike and confirm the issue?

I wonder if an e-mail to Suzuki themselves might get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't this be a warranty issue? I know you mentioned that you did not buy it from your local dealer so I'm guessing they are not jumping up and down to find out what the problem is.

Did the dealer you just had it to ride the bike and confirm the issue?

I wonder if an e-mail to Suzuki themselves might get the ball rolling.
The dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away and neither one is eager to work on this problem because its warranty and will not make much money. The original statement from the local dealer was that I didn't buy it from them so they didn't feel obligated to make me a priority (cool).

The local dealer didn't ride it but said that's what they suspect until they can put it on their dyno and confirm.

Suzuki told me they could not help me and suggested I take to dealers for diagnosis and warranty which is what I am doing.

Just trying to get them good info (specific rpms/gears) before I take it to them again.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I only have second hand information from friends that had a warranty issue, most with different brands. The common thread is that a dealer needs to confirm the issue and and write/file a claim with the manufacturer to get the ball rolling.

Even though you said the local dealer said you would not be a priority, at least he did not refuse to deal with it. I would be down there sweet talking them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I only have second hand information from friends that had a warranty issue, most with different brands. The common thread is that a dealer needs to confirm the issue and and write/file a claim with the manufacturer to get the ball rolling.

Even though you said the local dealer said you would not be a priority, at least he did not refuse to deal with it. I would be down there sweet talking them.
+1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts