Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up... I just received a call from Suzuki corporate telling me that there is a recall announcement coming on 1/29/2018 for teh 2017/18 GSXR 1000's. Something about the ECM. She said it had something to do with shifting into 1st gear may cause very high RPMs and shifting from 1st to 2nd will also create the high RPMs and a very high load on the drivetrain.

Suzuki Japan basically said to tell all owners not to ride their bikes any further until the recall repair has been completed.

I wish I had more info, but I was told more info would be provided in the recall notice.

Anyone else received a call about this?

- R

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Just about everything has a recall now days. Welcome to the electronic area. :smile

That reminds me, I need to get my 2016 Dodge Ram in for transmission solenoid pack recall (of course it's electronic)

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I think this is a response to the "auto blipper issue"

There is a facebook group trying to gather information and document the problem.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=gsxr1000r auto blipper issues.

My understanding is that at certain times, the throttle can blip very strongly on some downshifts.

This is the opening paragraphs of the group.

"Hello everyone.
I have opened this page due to an issue I have had with the auto blipper on the GSXR1000R
This is where the auto blip system gives an extra blip after changing down gears.
I have had this a few times and the worst has resulted in me having a 100mph crash at Aragon race circuit.
I am a trackday instructor with a vast amount of experience with championship winning accolades.
I am looking for other people's experiences with the issue so that I can formulate a letter to Suzuki to get the issue sorted before someone gets seriously injured or worse.
Please let me know of any issues that you have had with the blipper and let's see if we can get it resolved.
Last week I was on a European 3 day trackday where 5 out of 5 bikes had this issue, one of the bikes is ridden by an ex moto GP rider so it's not a rider issue even though Suzuki technical have said that it is.
In their words "you touched the switch so it did what you asked"
They have also told me that I am the first person to bring this to their attention.
Please add to this page if you have had this issue."

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There's at least one thread over on Jizzer.com about this recall and speculation on the issue as well.

I hope no one is seriously injured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received my official recall notice today. It says...

What is the problem
When upshifting between first and second gear, if the rider fails to engage second gear, a neutral condition will exist and co tinued opening of the throttle will cause very high engine RPM. If the rider shifts into second gear without disengaging the clutch under the very high engine RPM condition, an excessive load can be applied to the powertrain, which can cause the drive chain to stretch and, in the worst case, the drive chain can come off or break. If the drive chain comes off or breaks, the motorcycle will lose power, increasing the risk of a crash.

For your safety and customer satisfaction, we are initiating a safety recall campaign to replace the Engine Control Module (ECM) and inspect and, if necessary, replace the drive chain and sprockets. The new ECM has been programmed to prevent very high RPM under the conditions described above.

Warning
Operating your motorcycle without having the recall service performed may increase the risk of a crash. To minimize the risk of a crash, please do not ride nor allow anyone else to ride your motorcycle until this recall service has been completed.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
I got the recall notice in the mail today. I’m not doing it I have changed the shift star that causes the problem I feel. It shifted horrible before I changed the star I have also had my ECU flashed. Their fix is change the ECU and inspect the chain and sprockets. No thank you I’ll keep what I have.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I received my official recall notice today. It says...

What is the problem
When upshifting between first and second gear, if the rider fails to engage second gear, a neutral condition will exist and co tinued opening of the throttle will cause very high engine RPM. If the rider shifts into second gear without disengaging the clutch under the very high engine RPM condition, an excessive load can be applied to the powertrain, which can cause the drive chain to stretch and, in the worst case, the drive chain can come off or break. If the drive chain comes off or breaks, the motorcycle will lose power, increasing the risk of a crash.

For your safety and customer satisfaction, we are initiating a safety recall campaign to replace the Engine Control Module (ECM) and inspect and, if necessary, replace the drive chain and sprockets. The new ECM has been programmed to prevent very high RPM under the conditions described above.

Warning
Operating your motorcycle without having the recall service performed may increase the risk of a crash. To minimize the risk of a crash, please do not ride nor allow anyone else to ride your motorcycle until this recall service has been completed.
Interesting. Suzuki is saying the rider misses second, goes WOT in neutral than bangs it into second without using the clutch, but will voluntarily do the recall to help these squid riders.

Meanwhile, seasoned track riders and racers have the auto blip issue on downshift .......

Strange.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Interesting. Suzuki is saying the rider misses second, goes WOT in neutral than bangs it into second without using the clutch, but will voluntarily do the recall to help these squid riders.

Meanwhile, seasoned track riders and racers have the auto blip issue on downshift .......

Strange.

Is it possible that the official line is to avoid potential law suits, and the fix addresses the auto blip downshift issue on the quiet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto blipper issues.... Friend has recently had a horrific crash at Alcaras Spain..... Downshifted for chicane and bike surged on auto blip ..... He was just a passenger... Resulting crash left him with broken neck... Nose... Both wrists... Knee , Back and rib damage..... He's only just home... I'd love to hear from you guys ( especially rv6john ) .... And find out just how common this is .... And if Suzuki have recognised there is a problem.... Or if there have been any recalls .....
Any thoughts, pointers or info would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Phil .... [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Auto blipper issues.... Friend has recently had a horrific crash at Alcaras Spain..... Downshifted for chicane and bike surged on auto blip ..... He was just a passenger... Resulting crash left him with broken neck... Nose... Both wrists... Knee , Back and rib damage..... He's only just home... I'd love to hear from you guys ( especially rv6john ) .... And find out just how common this is .... And if Suzuki have recognised there is a problem.... Or if there have been any recalls .....
Any thoughts, pointers or info would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Phil .... [email protected]
Rider error? Going to slow and auto blip the only time mine does that is when I’m slow and the auto blip is more revs than I’m at.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,670 Posts
Just about everything has a recall now days. Welcome to the electronic area. :smile

That reminds me, I need to get my 2016 Dodge Ram in for transmission solenoid pack recall (of course it's electronic)
I need to take my 2019 in already. It's been showing a "Service Axle Locker System" message since it hit like 81 miles on the odometer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts