Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is probably of no interest to most folks on the Forum. My apologizes to you gals and guys.
But since the GSX250R is considered an entry-level bike, maybe a new owner/rider will find parts of this helpful.
I just completed my bike's 4 year/12,000 mile service, more or less following Suzuki's recommended schedule. I replaced:
Air filter, Spark plugs, Front and Rear brake lines, Brake fluid, Coolant. Oil and oil filter.

Air filter and spark plugs still looked practically new and would, probably, have offered many more miles of service.
I used OEM Suzuki brake lines, front and rear, because they're made well and I wanted to keep the hoses in the factory routing brackets. The OEM hoses are made with the rubber grommets attached. No regrets here.
Brake fluid and coolant replacements were straight forward. I was able to remove air from both systems with no problems.
Valve Check and Adjustment per Suzuki Owners Manual
Engine Specs: Intake 05-.10mm Exhaust .17-.22mm
Inspection Readings from factory settings with approximately 12,000 miles on engine:
(#1 Cylinder): Intake .10mm Exhaust .21mm (#2 Cylinder): Intake .10mm Exhaust .21mm
I was glad to find all 4 valves were within specifications.
But since I'm in there... I adjusted to the middle of the specs: Intake .08mm Exhaust .20mm
By far, removal and install of the plastic panels are the most time-consuming chore.
Nothing complicated, everything fairly straight forward. A nice rainy weekend project.

(Edited to include Valve Adjustments)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Nice write up!

We always appreciate reading about maintenance being done right. Apart from the valve clearances, it sounds like you did a thorough job.

I have no experience of the GSXR 250 motor, but maybe do the clearance check at the next service. How many miles are on the bike now?

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7
26 Posts
Good work here. Take the time to start a log book. With everything you have done and the your thoughts on how the bike runs and handles.
If your aim is high mileage, you can't be bouncing those valves. Don't go past 20k without a valve check, giving you a base line.
Handwriting Font Book Music Writing

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
Great write up indeed. I would love to have a 250 I suspect it would be a blast to ride.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the responses. I haven't put it's jammies back on, so I may attempt the valves yet. I've done adjustments numerous times on an '83 BMW R80RT over the 34 years I rode it, and suspect this engine would be as simple... after I reach it. But removing PAIR valves and hoses, along with other things I'm unfamiliar with makes me uneasy. I'm following the Service Manual and don't really know how I'd mess up... but I can normally find a way.
Either way, thanks for the encouragement, I'll update if I complete the task.. OR maybe need to beg off on a loaner bike until I figure out where I lost those parts I needed.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Chances are very high that the clearances will be fine. Checking them is easy enough. It becomes slightly more interesting if you have to make any adjustments.

The only bike I’ve ever had to adjust the valve clearances on is my sons wr250f. That was easy enough but it is a single cylinder bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some friendly encouragement from a few of our Aussie Brothers Down Under.. I completed the valve adjustments. They were within specs, but I adjusted them to the middle of the spec range since I was there already.
It was a fairly simple chore, a good experience and I feel good knowing the complete service is taken care of.
For the sake of showing the entire "12,000/4 year Service" together for someone who may be interested in the future, I edited my original post to include the valve inspection/adjustments results.
Thanks for the encouragement from everyone.(y)

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7
26 Posts
Very Good. Of-course as the valve seats wear, the clearance is less. ie. :- Exhaust, 0.15mm. (at 0.15mm COLD, when HOT, the valve is held open). So Readings at the larger end of the spec -(0.17mm -- 0.22mm) 0.22 is where you want to be.😃

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very Good. Of-course as the valve seats wear, the clearance is less. ie. :- Exhaust, 0.15mm. (at 0.15mm COLD, when HOT, the valve is held open). So Readings at the larger end of the spec -(0.17mm -- 0.22mm) 0.22 is where you want to be.😃
Good to know. You're looking down the road and that's a wise thing to do. As I've gotten older, I've adjusted my expectations for how long into the future I need to worry and plan for. Most days I'm functional and lucid. Other days, I wouldn't even buy a green hand of bananas... you never know, I may not be around long enough to see them ripen... or remember to peel the skin before I ate them :whistle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts