Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks for reading my post. I'm looking more for information than how to fix, but might get to fixing later.
To start, I was planning on taking it in this weekend (picking up a car soon, bike is only vehicle) to have it looked at, but seems the bike beat me to it. My clutch cable never wants to stay in spec, I get it'll loosen a little as it warms up, but it goes from no slack to too much slack by the time it gets fully hot. The only adjustments I've done are at the top, the adjustment on the clutch basket has proven to be a PITA. Hold the Phillips screw and twist the nut behind it, but can't find the leverage to hold the screw still. Anyway, beside the point.
This morning I start it up, gets to about 120°F so I roll it backwards out my garage, in Neutral! It rolled a foot and then got tight, so I got off, checked my chain, my wheels, the floor. Nothing binding. So I roll forwards, it's fine, roll backwards again and I hear a two part pop. I stopped and noticed my clutch lever has about a half inch of slack, but does have a little tension, and there's black fluid dripping off the bottom. Besides the clutch lever not staying in spec, I noticed the last couple of days that my shift lever was really stiff on downshifts. For a while I've also had a weird problem, one I can't find online at all. When at a stop, slowly release clutch to take off, just before the "friction zone" the bike bounces. Only way to counter it is to come to a stop, roll backwards a couple inches and the clutch releases smoothly, no bounce on the bike. I can also be rolling to a stop with clutch in, give the bike some very small revs and it'll do a similar kind of bounce. The bike also hasn't been launching like it should for a while, but I've been thinking that's an A/F ratio issue from my exhaust, I've yet to get it tuned. Did my clutch burn out? Did my trans just take a dookie on me? Stole my wife's car for today and will be taking the bike in this weekend, but would like to know what I'll be up against wallet wise.
Thanks in advance, this forum is always super helpful.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Welcome to the forum, that was a painful read. A few paragraph spaces would be welcome.

How many miles on the bike and the chain and sprockets?

I suggest you pull off the front sprocket cover and check the clutch release mechanism for wear or damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, that was a painful read. A few paragraph spaces would be welcome.

How many miles on the bike and the chain and sprockets?

I suggest you pull off the front sprocket cover and check the clutch release mechanism for wear or damage.
Chain and sprockets were replaced within the last few thousand miles, and the chain has stayed on the looser end of spec. The one I put on before was too tight and tore up the sprocket.
Bike was in Neutral, so why would the clutch be the issue? To be clear, I just parked it in the garage after work last night

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
I was taking a guess about the pop sound when you rolled it backwards. A worn chain and front sprocket can do that.

I don't know if any of this is connected, but your problem holding the clutch adjust bears looking at the release mechanism in the front sprocket cover.

·
Mod of the North
29,974 Posts
My guess is the two loud pops were the loose chain binding at the front sprocket when the rear wheel was driving the front sprocket backwards.

I am not sure about the 2018 but if it has a shuttle pin that pushes the clutch open make sure it is clean and moving freely. That sticking intermittently would produce cable slack. Just a guess though, I really don't know, I haven't worked on one as mine are hydraulic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is the two loud pops were the loose chain binding at the front sprocket when the rear wheel was driving the front sprocket backwards.

I am not sure about the 2018 but if it has a shuttle pin that pushes the clutch open make sure it is clean and moving freely. That sticking intermittently would produce cable slack. Just a guess though, I really don't know, I haven't worked on one as mine are hydraulic.
Not sure what a shuttle pin is. Sprocket and chain aren't an issue, the chain wasn't tight when rolling, so I don't it got stuck on the sprocket, that was my first guess. There's black fluid dripping off the bottom of the trans, my clutch lever went almost completely slack

·
Mod of the North
29,974 Posts
I think we are in the "need pics" stage of the conversation. Particularly the source of the black fluid.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only image I have for now, can take another when I get home. I'm sorry if there's lack of information revolving the issue, but I really have no idea what happened. It rolled fine for a foot and then got harder to roll. Tried again and boom boom. Clutch is gone

Attachments

·
Mod of the North
29,974 Posts
Yeah a pic of where it is coming from is gonna be the thing. It will be oil but from where is the key. You may have to clean the area well & run the bike to find the leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a pic of where it is coming from is gonna be the thing. It will be oil but from where is the key. You may have to clean the area well & run the bike to find the leak.
Stupid question, but does the trans use the same oil as engine? I'm assuming so. I did my oil change not that long ago, Motul300V oil. The fluid coming from the bike is blacker than black

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Yes, same oil supply.

I'm guessing the black oil is possibly chain lube.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best pics I can get of the oil leaking, not sure if it's coming from higher or not. Lots of muck build up below the front sprocket that seems to have soaked some of it up. Fairly certain it's coming from whatever that is, but I was under the impression coolant runs through there. It's definitely oil, I can see the green in it on the bottom of the cover. My best guess is that pop came from the transmission, so guessing it'll be a hefty bill

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry should've mentioned before, but I can now confirm that it's only leaking while engine is running. It's been sitting all day and the puddle of oil hasn't gotten bigger

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do you have a swing arm type lift to get rear wheel off the ground? That way you can roll forward and back by hand and see what’s going . Could be like something was picked up on the chain and is causing some bind or maybe the rear wheel isn’t centered properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have a swing arm type lift to get rear wheel off the ground? That way you can roll forward and back by hand and see what’s going . Could be like something was picked up on the chain and is causing some bind or maybe the rear wheel isn’t centered properly.
I have a swing arm stand, but the chain isn't the problem. MAYBE something go caught on the sprocket, but when the bike got "tight" or hard to roll, the first thing I did was reach down and check chain slack, it wasn't tight like it was binding

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would look at each tooth on sprockets and also grab the rear wheel to see if there is anything loose in the wheel bearings . Also make sure the chain adj are equal both sides

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why does your front sprocket cover have a gouge/crack in it? Have you taken it off to have a look behind it?
Sorry, finally got a chance to look at the bike. We'll, just started, and noticed the crack you saw in the picture. I'm about to take the cover off. Sorry, I thought you saw the road rash on stator cover

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have found the source of the problem. Somehow the speed sensor rotor bolt was loose, was maybe slowly backing itself out as I was reversing and pushed against front sprocket cover. Pop pop I heard was it cracking the cover. I for a fact torqued and double checked last time I serviced chain and rotors, nonetheless.

Looks like the source of the oil drips, and the constant buildup behind sprocket cover, is the clutch pushrod. However, on all previous bikes I've service the chain on, I've noticed a lot of buildup behind the front sprocket cover, and I'm assuming the culprit is the same, granted all my bikes have been used before me. Replace that seal and it'll be okay, or is it still slowly going to seep? I've attached pictures.

I need to inspect my clutch release mechanism a little more, but aside from that will be replacing clutch cable, front sprocket cover and clutch pushrod seal. Sprocket and teeth on shaft look good.

Anyone got advice on my clutch cable? Replacing it because I still can't get the freeplay at lever to stay in spec. And, if I twist the black sheathing around the cable, it adjusts the freeplay at the lever. Gets to the point that, as I turn the handlebar adjuster, it seems to make the black sheathing taught. One tap on the sheath and it unravels itself a little, so bumps and whatnot can be causing it to loosen. It's the weirdest thing..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts