Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just purchased a 2019 1000x model and am trying to figure out how to convert this to gp shift. I have done research on this and it looks like the 2017+ models you just have to flip the knuckle 180 degrees but this thing will not slide on.

I’ve done this on multiple bikes and it slides right on like butter regardless of angle. When I try on this bike like all videos and posts show it will not slide on the shaft 180 degrees from standard position? In the regular position, there is a good 30/45 degrees of rotation where it will slide on and then it stops and will not engage?

I even tried taking off the rod and flipping just the knuckle and still nada? Any help you guys can give me is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you take your set screw completely out of the clamp?
This bike is not a direct transfer of 180 from the stock (Standard shift) position. The clamp arm is angled and when reversed the teeth along with the clamps arm put the shifter the wrong position.

It took me many try’s to get this switch correct Even with my normal methods of:

mark the Toe height to the right on the frame, mark the “split” part of the Clamp on the rod that goes to the shift drum, and measure the distances of adjustment at the top and bottom of the shift rod. All of this is so you can go backwards if you mess up.

once you remove the clamp make sure your shifter in the same spot, rotate the rod and flip the clamp around. The biggest challenge being the offset arm and grooves. The goal is to get an even shift up and down.
I can send a pic of mine if you need.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Welcome.

I thought they all just rotated and slid on. Are the splines symmetrical all the way around? Any burrs on the splines?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Should be 180 with the arm facing opposite and the shift rod adjustment but I found this model to be very challenging

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you take your set screw completely out of the clamp?
This bike is not a direct transfer of 180 from the stock (Standard shift) position. The clamp arm is angled and when reversed the teeth along with the clamps arm put the shifter the wrong position.

It took me many try’s to get this switch correct Even with my normal methods of:

mark the Toe height to the right on the frame, mark the “split” part of the Clamp on the rod that goes to the shift drum, and measure the distances of adjustment at the top and bottom of the shift rod. All of this is so you can go backwards if you mess up.

once you remove the clamp make sure your shifter in the same spot, rotate the rod and flip the clamp around. The biggest challenge being the offset arm and grooves. The goal is to get an even shift up and down.
I can send a pic of mine if you need.
yes a pic would be great, I’ve tried all sorts of angles from the other side and it will not slide in. I’ve tried lubeing it as well but it isn’t happy or wanting to slide in and don’t want to force it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If your having trouble getting it back on get a rubber mallet and tap it a few times or try PB blaster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome.

I thought they all just rotated and slid on. Are the splines symmetrical all the way around? Any burrs on the splines?
No burrs or damage on the knuckle or shaft. And the pattern appears identical on both parts so either side should work it just isn’t happy sliding

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Take the bolt all the way out if you need to use a small wedge in the slot not to much you don't want to break or crack the arm. slide it off rotate it 180 deg reinstall put bolt in torque it you're done. Also you should not have to use a mallet or hammer for this project.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I may have run into your problem which is why it took me an hour, can’t really remember. Try rotating full circle to see if it slips on anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just tried the wedge and really cranked on her as safe as possible, went on maybe a hair more but still not even close to getting past the first teeth. Did try the full 360 and the only side it wants to smoothly and easily slide onto is the left side aka standard shift side. I feel the same on the mallet, even if i get it on there i will need to take it off and move it to adjust the angle to get it right, for sure dont want to tap it home. Im going to take her to the shop and will let everyone know what the outcome is. pretty crazy im even saying that lol.

thanks all!

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's strange, unless they have made more changes to it to try and keep people from switching to GP.

My 2011 GSXR 1000 had the procedure for switching to GP shift in the owners manual but these new bikes don't so they might not want to condone it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Have you checked the splines to be sure they’re not damaged any way. And that they’re the same ie there is no master spline all the splines are the same (symmetrical splines) I can‘t imagine them not being. I think you must be over looking something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to report back here. Ordered that new shift arm and it slid right on. I can only assume the person who originally torqued down the bolt did it so tight the arm lost circumference enough to where even a wedge wasn’t doing it. 37 bucks and the new part slides on freely 360 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Just wanted to report back here. Ordered that new shift arm and it slid right on. I can only assume the person who originally torqued down the bolt did it so tight the arm lost circumference enough to where even a wedge wasn’t doing it. 37 bucks and the new part slides on freely 360 degrees.
Thanks for posting up the fix and that makes sense. It was a head scratcher.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You needed a bigger hammer! LOL

J/K

Glad you got it.

On my K5 Liter, I switched over to GP ~ a year of more ago.
As stated, it was a few minute switch.
I love it, and can still easily ride a standard shift as well.
Kinda like going from manual tranny car/truck to auto and back.

* One time I traded bikes on a ride w/ a friend who has 2004 ZX10R.
He could not handle/get used to my reverse shift pattern.
I didn't have any tools on the bike then, and didn't ask him if he had a 10mm.
a 10mm wrench is all it takes to flip it back over. I now carry a few tools 'just in case'
Next time, I'll spend the 1-2 minutes it put it back to oem shift f I trade someone.

Oh yeah, ya'll mentioned torqueing that bolt.
I rarely torque anything- and don't go breaking stripping things either.
On engine surfaces like a head- of course I do.
I'm such a dweeb.
Gotta go mow the lawn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts