Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Y2K GSXR 750 that often stutter steps when accelerating in 2nd gear. It generally occurs once per ride. It slips and grabs(thats what it feels like) so quick that I cannot identify if the rpm's increase. Any ideas????Thanx

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
The problem is the dogs on 2nd gear are getting rounded off, so you need to replace 2nd Gear and 6th, because they are the ones that tie into eachother.
You need 6th Gear Driven , and 2nd Gear Drive.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You will also need tht shift fork. It is one of the ones on the shifter shaft that has two. They are both the same I belive.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ya, replace 2nd gear and 6th gear.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Motojoe_23 said:
You will also need tht shift fork. It is one of the ones on the shifter shaft that has two. They are both the same I belive.
If you need one of the shift forks then you are most likely going to need both, look at the wear on them and go from there. how many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I would suggest replacing all 3 shift forks and the 2nd and 6th gear. After that many miles they are probably very worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the breakdown of the transmission and all the advice. I really appreciate it. Those solutions make the most sense to me. I have heard some really bizarre ones.

Mannydaze

·
Registered
34 Posts
mannydaze said:
I have a Y2K GSXR 750 that often stutter steps when accelerating in 2nd gear. It generally occurs once per ride. It slips and grabs(thats what it feels like) so quick that I cannot identify if the rpm's increase. Any ideas????Thanx
Here's the list of parts U'll need to get it fixed.. www.ronayers.com

09280-08012 O RING D:1.9 ID:7.8 (7)
11482-35F00 GASKET, CL COVER (1)
11489-35F00 GASKET, OIL PAN (1)
14181-46E00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE (4)
16510-34E00 FILTER ASSY, ENG OIL (1)
25211-35F00 FORK, GEAR SHIFT (2)
25310-35F00 CAM, GEAR SHIFT (1)
24361-35F00 GEAR, 6TH DRIVEN (1)
09380-27006 CIRCLIP (3)
24321-35F01 2ND DRIVEN GEAR (1)
25510-35F00 SHAFT, GEAR SHIFT (1) *

You might want to use part number *25510-35F01 instead of *25510-35F00 (gear shift shaft) since the new part is solid. I would order 6 of circlips instead of the recommended 3. I believe they are all the same size.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
mannydaze said:
Thanks so much for the breakdown of the transmission and all the advice. I really appreciate it. Those solutions make the most sense to me. I have heard some really bizarre ones.

Mannydaze
No prob man, I had the same problem so I know what it calls for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all of your help...now I just need to find a good mechanic in the San Jose area. Have any ideas?

Mannydaze

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Don't live down there man, so I have no Idea. If you could get your bike up here I could do it for you. But thats a few hours away.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have done more of these than I can count :boxing: , and if you have a manual you cn check the wear on the shift forks. There is a spec on them, I believe it is between 4.8 and 4.9 MM on the tips of the forks, and if you see ANY wear on the body of the fork it is more than likely bent and deffinately needs replacing. More often than not you need all 3 forks, but the only one that affects 2nd is the one I told you about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skibum: As tempting as your offer is; Reno is a little too far for me at this time. I appreciate the offer.

Mannydaze

1 - 17 of 17 Posts