Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I am new here. Bought the gsxr 600 k6 a week back. Really enjoyed the ride, but, unfortunatelly, only for about 100 miles.

Bike starts to smell "funny" and in a minute I heard something popped and engine cuts off. I saw some stuff on radiator - R/R blows apart. It was not original/oem as I can see on wiring and when I checked on the rest of bike, when tried to check the whole electricity, the battery is inflated - cooked.

I changed the battery, disconnected R/R, but I can not start it. 30A starter fuse is ok. When I turn the key, it burns Lo headlight fuse. No sound of fuel pump, no hi beams, no turn signals, nothing. Only thing what turns on is dash. It lights up, shows me mileage, N (neutral) and CHEC, but can not read the errors. Kill switch doing nothing, start button doing nothing...

Is my ECU cooked too? Or is there another possibility? Please cheer me up :( ECU, R/R, battery. It will cost hella money. I tried to solve it with previous owner, but we are stucked on "it worked when you buy it" ...yes... for 100 miles.

I am from europe, bike is originally from US. Shipped here.

Thanks for help

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Welcome.

Piece by piece.

The R/R blowing and taking out the main 30a fuse is not unusual and normally that it the limit of the damage. The bike should start and run with the R/R disconnected as long as the battery is charged.

The low beam fuse blown will not stop the bike from starting and running. Same with the other lights and signals. You have a wiring, connection or ignition switch problem there.

You see CHEC because the ECM is off line. That is also why you can't check codes.

The bright spot, as I see it, is that the starter is not working. It should as it is not dependent on the ECM. I'm assuming you are pulling the clutch back and the starter worked just fine before all this.

My guess is to go to the kill switch and see if you have power there and that it is getting through the switch. The kill switch not only kills the ECM but also the power to the starter relay.

A wiring diagram and voltmeter should be able to find the problem(s).

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
John does this model have a fuse in the starter relay?

Reactions: rv6john

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.

Piece by piece.

The R/R blowing and taking out the main 30a fuse is not unusual and normally that it the limit of the damage. The bike should start and run with the R/R disconnected as long as the battery is charged.

The low beam fuse blown will not stop the bike from starting and running. Same with the other lights and signals. You have a wiring, connection or ignition switch problem there.

You see CHEC because the ECM is off line. That is also why you can't check codes.

The bright spot, as I see it, is that the starter is not working. It should as it is not dependent on the ECM. I'm assuming you are pulling the clutch back and the starter worked just fine before all this.

My guess is to go to the kill switch and see if you have power there and that it is getting through the switch. The kill switch not only kills the ECM but also the power to the starter relay.

A wiring diagram and voltmeter should be able to find the problem(s).
Hello. Thanks for hope.

I checked bike again. Hi beam and turn signals are working.
When I turn on the key, bike will blow the lo beam fuse. It may be because the highare voltage and the bulb is damaged. Will check it.

About kill switch. I opened it. When kill switch is off and key on, I have about 0.9V on it. When i turn it to on (start able) it will blow the Ignition fuse and voltage on it is 0.0.

30A fuse on start rellay is ok.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
John does this model have a fuse in the starter relay?
Yes, but he mentioned the cluster was booting up so that fuse must be good.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I changed lo beam bulb and it is working now. Sooo... only problem now is with turning ignition on. When i switch the kill switch to "ride" position, 10A ignition fuse will burn and I can not turn the starter nor fuel pump on.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Update: I changed lo beam bulb and it is working now. Sooo... only problem now is with turning ignition on. When i switch the kill switch to "ride" position, 10A ignition fuse will burn and I can not turn the starter nor fuel pump on.
I hate to say it, but those are signs the ECM is cooked.

Unplug the ECM, replace the ignition fuse and see if it cranks. That will check the rest of the power circuit.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like. I just tried it before check back here. When ECU/M is unplugged, the fuse will not get blown.
Is there some fuel pump relay or something? I don't know what is on ignition fuse connected. The way I unplug ECU it is not turning anything on. If is ecu turning on some relay, it can be cooked :/ But ye it seems more like ecu...

Edit: Plus when ECU is disconnected and kill switch will not throw fuse out, starter is working

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Too bad, 95% sure the ECM is fried. You can lock in the other 5% by borrowing a known good ECM from a K6/7 600 or 750 and seeing if the bike runs.

The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECM, that is why it is not running.

All signs point to the ECM.

My guess also is the R/R that burnt is a cheap Chinese Ebay POS.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
My guess also is the R/R that burnt is a cheap Chinese Ebay POS.
I concur, Dr John.

The fact that the battery is swollen and the funny smells(Sulfur) indicate that the r/r failed to regulate the output voltage causing all the downstream issues. This is too common with those cheap r/r’s.

At least the OEM r/r typically fails with zero output voltage, causing the battery to run flat. Far less of a headache.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
At least the OEM r/r typically fails with zero output voltage, causing the battery to run flat. Far less of a headache.
Or the old OEM ones go out in a puff of smoke and flame and blows the main fuse shutting off the bike as happened to mine on track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts