Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '00 gsxr750 track bike. It performs amazingly. But, while on the track it pushes water out the overflow into the "jug". If I start with the jug almost empty, it will push out just enough to fill it up, and that's it. The bike does not run hot on the track. I was at Barber on 10-8, and it was running like 180 on the track. After it cools down, it pulls the water back into the radiator.

Any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
ummm...water expands...steam pressure builds....overflow tank is there for that reason??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is there for extreme overheating, catching the coolant and letting the radiator pull it back in when it cools. Running 180 degrees should not require it to push out a quart of water?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JFM GSXR 750 said:
Yes that doesn't seem right........... :headscrat when was the last time the fluid was changed? If you don't know, then time to change it. 180 is not that hot, over 220 is.
I just replaced the coolant last month with the orange, $15 a 1/2 Gal "good" stuff.

I put the same stuf in my RC51 and my brother's 954RR with no problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XPointBlakeX said:
What kind of coolant you using? I doubt that is the problem though. Maybe a sensor is off and causes it to do more work than need be?

When you let it heat up in the shop, it will go right up to about 215 and the fan will come on. I know the temp sensor for the engine is seperate from the fan switch. So, if they are working that closely to stock setting, I assume all is good there.

the air pocket thing sounds like a posibility. But, I have had it at the track 2 times now. It has not hurt anything yet. Wouldn't the air pocket keep the water from flowing? It will cool back down when I manually turn the fan on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Djbrady said:
Do a compression check on your bike.

Water pushing out is generally a sign of a head gasket failing. (if you're not overheating)
I did that when I first got it to see how high the compression was. I needed to see if it had to run on race gas. It had like 165 on each cyl. the head gasket issue was a concern to me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
sounds like the head gasket is failing, or poss lifting slightly when your hard on it, also maybe the radiator cap itself be be n/g. i would do a compression test with the motor hot and cold and compair the numbers, and also do a cyl leakdown test , which will give you a more accurate input as to what may be going on inside there.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
that is not an overflow, it is a reserfoir for if the fluid gets low.

Soethign is not right. But not sure what.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it's a resevoir then why does it fill up when the bike is run hard? These bikes don't have thermostats like a car does right? If there is someway to pressure test your cooling system that may be your best bet. If the system gets clogged it will send coolant into the overflow/resevoir. I'm not that up on the cooling system on these bikes but that's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The system is sealed. The reservoir is connected to the top of the neck on the radiator, if the fluid level drops in the system, this will in turn create a vacuum from less fluid in the radiator, pullling more fluid in from the reservoir into the radiator. I have NO idea why it would blow back into the reservoir though.

Wait. On the gix, take a look at your filler neck on the radiator. is there TWO small hoses in that general area? You may have them swapped. One I believe runs down to thethermostat or the water pump (different on different bikes), and the other to the reservior. someone check on that for me, as mine is at my shop, and I work on to damn many of them to remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
03GSXR750 said:
If it's a resevoir then why does it fill up when the bike is run hard? These bikes don't have thermostats like a car does right? If there is someway to pressure test your cooling system that may be your best bet. If the system gets clogged it will send coolant into the overflow/resevoir. I'm not that up on the cooling system on these bikes but that's my 2 cents...
Yes they do have thermostats.

Adn yes you can get a pressure tester for them too.

and yes it IS a reservoir, and it SHOULD NOT fill up. It should already be halfway full, and stay that way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wait. On the gix, take a look at your filler neck on the radiator. is there TWO small hoses in that general area? You may have them swapped. One I believe runs down to thethermostat or the water pump (different on different bikes), and the other to the reservior. someone check on that for me, as mine is at my shop, and I work on to damn many of them to remember off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

I will check on that, good thinking. If it was the head gasket, I would think it could not stand a day of flogging at the track without major overheating?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.