Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1998 gsxr 600 with a 750 swap and after taking it out last weekend it now won't start. Won't even crank or prime the fuel pump. New battery, charged. There is power to the relay. How do I test the relay itself? I plan on cleaning the tank and replacing the fuel pump soon regardless. But is there anything else it could be?

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not the expert on the older bikes but if things light up and the cluster is alive with ignition on, then the kill switch would be the next suspect. No power through that would cause both of the symptoms you describe.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
I'll look into that, I'm just now thinking I may have had it in gear, wasn't pulling in the clutch... it should still prime the fuel pump though right?
If in gear and the side stand not up would cause no fuel pump prime and no crank. Not pulling the clutch would only cause no crank.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
We'd like to see pictures of your bike. Don't whskeythrottle it either LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've posted one to my profile, and I know I won't haha. Noticed today that it won't rev past 8k while riding, from what I've read it's either coils, dirty injectors, fuel pump or clogged filter. It hasn't been rode much the past 2 years so I reckon a proper tune up is needed. This is just my first bike and I don't want to break it lol, not likely anything serious is it?

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Clean the filters first and do a pressure and volume check. That is the simplest first step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I got the new fuel pump, strainer and filter on. I used the kit from quantum fuel systems and a mr gasket filter since the one that was in there was clogged with rust. Had to do a little jerry rigging, but looked good to me. It idles high, around 2k and surges to 3k occasionally. And still falls off at 8k while riding. Any help is appreciated. That fuel filter should be fine right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: was going to ride it and now it chokes up and dies after a few seconds.. The fuel hose I used to connect the fuel filter is slightly bent possibly restricting flow since the filter I used doesn't have a bent inlet. Other than that I have no clue why it's acting up, rode it 10 miles this morning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so the line connected to the fuel filter was kinked and falling off. So I moved the filter outside of the tank and used an elbow and fuel hose in the tank. Idles fine now, a little low 1-1.1k if anything. Went for a ride and to get gas. First gas station I stopped at had ethanol so I had to find another, bike started fine. Less than a quarter mile later and after gassing up the bike doesn't want to start. Let it sit for 20 minutes, will crank and prime but wont start. Hooked up to tender, same result. Needless to say I am taking the bike to a shop tomorrow. Just wanna ride the dam thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts