Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1987 GSX-R 750 from my friends dad for $1,200. i took the bike for a short ride and seemed to be an awesome bike. Now, i have a special connection at a "bike shop" and i can ride any bike there i want. I have been riding a bunch of older Harley's but also a ducati monster 750 and a 1989 yamaha FZR. But i want my own bike to work on and what not. I am 17 years old, just wondering what you guys think about a 1987 GSX-R 750 if any of you have rode one or own one.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Get it because for one its a low risk item for you(insurance and no payments)
Keep it because that is a nice classic bike and for 1200 that is a good deal.
Take some pictures as i wanna see it because if you don't want it I may take a look at it

·
Registered
234 Posts
Where is this bike? I agree if you do not buy post picture! I am very interest!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i think i am going to buy the bike, i will post pictures after i buy it and if i dont buy it for some reason then i will let you guys know. the bike is in northern NJ, thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
87 Gsxr

I had an '86 1100, '87 750, '88 750, '90 750, 91 750. I rode them on the street and raced them for several yrs. They are oil cooled and out dated. Look for a 90 or newer FZR 400, or FZR 600 they are water cooled and the 600 is almost as fast and you can do a lot of mods to them ie.. wheels, body work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OIL/air colled

Well I've owned only 88-92 Zukes over the last 12 yrs. I love the bikes, you can always cutomize and increase performance on these mules! They are work horses. The only down fall is HEAT! Heat is a killer at bike week, and in Heavy ass traffic S/Beach! Don't do it for long....lol.. You'll pay. I did do one mod that helped in this area. I took some heavy duty computer fans and mounted them to the inside of the oil cooler and wired them to a toggle switch. Worked like a dream! You'll surprised on the difference on temp this thing would make. I'm now looking at the aftermarked oil coolers that they show on the oldskool 7/11 site. Dam, cost is hight as .f(^%&(!. If I get the dinero I may go that route if not, Radio Schack here I come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ive got an 86 750 and shes a great ride :thumbup: a clasic and a very reliable bike if treated well. keep her clean you'll have that bike for the rest of your life with a :D the whole time

·
Registered
57 Posts
The bikes ride great. You can beat on them all day long and they just keep asking for more. I loved my 87. Didn't have any problems with it at all. Heating is an issue though. I would try the one guys fan idea for sure. I was on Young St. in T.O. when it was about 26 out and after about 15-20 min in some heavier traffic it overheated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts