Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike always seemed to crank over and start. Now,today, I started it and it idled good. Now ,a wire that goes to my MSD box got a little burnt from the header. I guess that made the engine turn off. I tried turning it on and no crank at all. I checked fuses ,they look good.Is there something else that I can check? A relay? How can I run straight wire to see if starter spins, to narrow it down?

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
Was it running and driving before this? Idling yes, but unless you are riding it the battery doesn't charge much at idle. You may have just run it down.

Obviously fix that wire but beyond that you might want to check the battery before you do too much else looking for 12V. If it went to partial ground on the header it likely drained very quickly. Bridging the terminals on the starter relay with a screwdriver should spin it up. Once running check the battery voltage again looking for about 14.5V.

Reactions: rv6john

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,529 Posts
Everything that Tins said. Would of course depend on WHAT wire got melted, and maybe shorted. Start with the basics first. Battery voltage, as well as how much it drops when you hit the starter button. Check voltage at the starter, the starter trigger wire when you hit the button, Check the fuse in the starter relay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'll try that tonight. Where is this starter relay fuse, located? I checked the little fuse panel and they all look good.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Ok, I'll try that tonight. Where is this starter relay fuse, located? I checked the little fuse panel and they all look good.
The main fuse is in the starter relay. if it was blown, the bike would be entirely dead.

Just follow the positive battery cable down about 6 inches and it goes to the starter relay.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
It should be under or beside the battery box depending on where the wires were tucked in last time it was worked on. That wire gets shoved around trying to change the air filter so it could be either place. Follow the wire as John said and you will find an in-line fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts