Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike last year and just got it done (paint and such). When I put fuel in the tank I noticed the fuel line wasn't hooked up. Fuel was running out of the tank. I though it had a fuel pump and it shouldn't pump unless it is on. Am I wrong? Should gas come out of the tank/fuel line with the key off? Is it an electric fuel pump? Is my pump garbage and need to be replaced? Any help or opinions would be great!!!

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I had some pumps leak when disconnected and some that did not. I would suggest you keep running it until you have a problem, but as of neweer bikes I have yet to see one leak after disconnected. Make sure that this is not fluid in the lines.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a 98 gsxr 750 srad 2 years ago, i had to take off the fuel tank 3 times since then, it was leaking fuel from the line every time. the fuel pumps still sounds strong and I haven't had any problems with power or fuel delivery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
gsxr problems

On my 00 gsxr 600 tank there are two "fuel" lines extending from the sending unit. One of them is not a fuel line, but a check valve that is opened once the the bike starts to produce crankcase vacuum. The other line is the actual fuel line running from the pump outlet. If the check valve is stuck open the tank will continue to run fuel out of the pump outlet once disconnected. A quick dissassembly and cleaning will resolve the problem, or use a small hose clamp when disassembling in the future. This problem is not a threat to the function of fuel delivery, but a nuissance when performing maintenance.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I bought a 98 gsxr 750 srad 2 years ago, i had to take off the fuel tank 3 times since then, it was leaking fuel from the line every time. the fuel pumps still sounds strong and I haven't had any problems with power or fuel delivery.
What did you have to replace if any when you took the tank off? I have never had a problem with my current and previous 98 750's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.