Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. I had some rattles fro the top end. My "friend" said he could fix the problem. He called and said he didn't have time to fix it after taking it all apart. Long story short he has the cams out and had his head up his A%&. Anyway, I searched and found alot of help but no pics. I know the cams are to be three and two up with 15 links between (thanks to search) but I have no idea what the crankshaft direction should be. HELP I have it apart hoping for the answers. Please pics would help if not anything will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 99 srad 750 and i just redid my engine.
if you want a pic i have the manual and im pretty sure its the same. take out the little top plug on the right side engine cover. Theres a little line in there that lines up with another line. hard to explain without pics.
if you need pics email me
towingtime at yahoo dot com
its alot easier with pics trust me, you dont wanna do this wrong you will blow your motor

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
WOW, what a friend! Was he attempting to swap some shims? Your probably going to have to reinstall everything and then check the clearances and then remove the cams all over again to change out the shims.

GET A MANUAL!! I'll help you out once you do.:thumbup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was a friend until this, now we have nothing to say to each other. Now to my question. If I align the cams properly and the crank properly everything should be fine right? Is it possible to have the crank align and be 180 degrees out? Or if it is on the mark then its right on? I have the manual, and I just seen the marks previously mentioned.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My best advice on timing the cams is to get all the marks in the right place, make sure the cam caps are torqued properly, install the tensioner and then rotate the engine by the crankshaft 2 or 3 times.

Check your marks again, they more than likely moved a tooth off or so on at least one of the cams. If the mark on either cam sprocket is more advanced/retarded of the correct position you'll need to remove the tensioner undo the caps(*may not be nessasary if you can sneak the chain off) and gently rotate the sprocket(s) back/forward a tooth depending on which way the sprocket is off the mark. *Repeat the top paragraph afterward and check the timing again.

If your good, you'll get it in two tries, if your like me:infrandom it'll take you a few times to get it right.

Once you get it right, break out the feeler gauge and start comparing those valve clearances to spec and take notes. Then once you figure out which shims need replacing, go the dealer and buy the shims either individually or as a set (nice if you want to do your buddies and make some cash) and repeat the whole process over again.

Fun huh!:clap:

*disclaimer-Johnnylovely is not responsible for anything:laughingr

·
Registered
8 Posts
ya definatly take your time on this one! Check over the timing marks bunched of times! I messed up and one of my little shims wasnt seated correctly and it popped out of place i guess and i ended up having a loud tap and i had to take out my cams again and check them all to make sure. Luckily no damage but its running quiet now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I worked on it this evening and got it. I was stressing the whole bent valve issue. But luckily I aligned it turned it by hand and rechecked it and done it about 10 times. Put it all back togehter and it fired right up! I REALLY appreciate the help. Now to find some misc. parts for thebike. Again BIG THANKS!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.