Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Periodically I run into this problem, hoping someone can help me diagnose and fix it.

On a 92, GSXR 1100 the RPM reading does not match the engine sound or speed.
If idling, the motor sounds very slow but RPM reads 1500-2000. Yes I can hear the difference, the problem is intermittent and i know how it sounds when idling normal around 1200 RPM

In top gear, it normally reads 6000RPM at 140kph when it acts up it reads 7000-7500RPM

At slow speed in traffic, it feels unstable/unbalanced and wants to tip and fall. When running normal, it is so much easier I can ride it like police officers in a parade.

Also 90 degree street turns become harder to negotiate when it is acting up.

I am thinking this is a misfire, Or choking and gasping for air, or clog in the fuel system that causes the engine to run rough.

Before I start spending money on unnecessary parts, has anyone experienced this?

thanks.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
I have had a misfire cause surging and uneven idle. I have an '89 1100 and unfortunately the tach starts at 3000 so determining what I am really idling at is tough. First thing I would suggest is a good carb clean and adjustment if it hasn't been done already. You may also want to check the intake boots for leaks and go through your vacuum hoses as well.

I found the plastic clip that holds the choke rail in place just inboard of the choke knob had popped out and what I thought was no choke was actually half choke. That made a great difference as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a misfire cause surging and uneven idle. I have an '89 1100 and unfortunately the tach starts at 3000 so determining what I am really idling at is tough. First thing I would suggest is a good carb clean and adjustment if it hasn't been done already. You may also want to check the intake boots for leaks and go through your vacuum hoses as well.

I found the plastic clip that holds the choke rail in place just inboard of the choke knob had popped out and what I thought was no choke was actually half choke. That made a great difference as well.
Thanks for the thorough explanations, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
It sounds like you have 2 separate unrelated issues going on here. I don't believe you tach issue to be connected to the running issue. I believe you have an electric tach? The tach surging and reading erratically is going to be either wiring, or the tach itself is bad.
Your running issues sounds fuel related to me. As Tins stated, you will want to start with the carbs. Get them FULLY cleaned up, and fresh rubber throughout, and properly tuned.
I would pull every electrical connector apart, and clean them really good, the add some dielectric grease to them all. Replace anything that looks burnt or too crusty to clean.

Edit: After reading my own response, I suppose these could be related. Could be a short somewhere causing all of this. Start with all of your electrical plugs...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts