Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first thread and hopefully not my last. For those of you in the north, you know what it's like living in places like Toronto. I know what it's like to own a seasonal toy, 1974 camaro, and have been trying to sell it for over 4 months now. I just got an offer from a guy who has a 2003 GSX-R600; he wants to trade for my camaro.

The camaro is worth about 7g's (canadian$) and the bike is being sold for 3.5g's. The bike has been in a accident, but since then all the parts have been replaced with the exception of the frame. The owner says that the frame can be fixed easily/cheaply, i'm just not sure if i should trust him. I know that i'd lose a lot of money in this trade but i am itching for a gixxer and am ready to do this as soon as possible.

My question to you pro's goes like this: Is a bent frame something that is as easily repairable as this guy is making it sound? The forkes are kinda tucked inwards (front impact), he told me that he can make a jig to repair it. Does this make sense?

Eager to get on a bike,
Rich

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
merk20vt said:
My first thread and hopefully not my last. For those of you in the north, you know what it's like living in places like Toronto. I know what it's like to own a seasonal toy, 1974 camaro, and have been trying to sell it for over 4 months now. I just got an offer from a guy who has a 2003 GSX-R600; he wants to trade for my camaro.

The camaro is worth about 7g's (canadian$) and the bike is being sold for 3.5g's. The bike has been in a accident, but since then all the parts have been replaced with the exception of the frame. The owner says that the frame can be fixed easily/cheaply, i'm just not sure if i should trust him. I know that i'd lose a lot of money in this trade but i am itching for a gixxer and am ready to do this as soon as possible.

My question to you pro's goes like this: Is a bent frame something that is as easily repairable as this guy is making it sound? The forkes are kinda tucked inwards (front impact), he told me that he can make a jig to repair it. Does this make sense?

Eager to get on a bike,
Rich
It depends on the severity of the bend, I would also inspect the welds around the sterring head. They can crack with the certain amount of force. Usually the bending back process costs about $800 through a company that knows what they are doing. There are only a few places in the country that I know of that straighten frames. I wouldn't trust somebody that was going to bend it back themselves. I would try to get some money out of him in the trade. the frame can give you problems in the future.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yes it can be done, no not cheaply. The cost of it though is worth it if it can be done as the frame is usually actually straighter than stock when they get done. A new frame cn be purchased too, but then you are looking at the cost of the frame PLUS all the time and labor to swap out all the parts onto the new frame

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, i think i am going to get the bike no matter what. I really want it, and i think that i would be able to straighten out the frame, if not i'll just save up for a new one. I would probably transfer all the parts over by myself... even though i don't have much experience in the field i think i could figure it out.

anymore thoughts?

- rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts