Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just want to pick your brains for a moment.
I am planning a trip to the States mid 2006 (I have to save up and get the time off work) for about 3 months going coast to coast. I would like to hire some sort of camper van for my friend who does not ride, a trailer, and a supersports bike so that I can ride through the twisties and sleep through the boring bits.
Would like to start off in California, probably LA, and then cover as much ground as we can through to NYC.
I would like to hit as many biker hangouts as possible, so woudl love to hear from you as to which would be the best route to hit.
Who knows, I may even get to meet some of you!

Please feel free to inundate me with your ideas of where to go as well as who to hire from.

Thanks in advance

Max

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
since your starting in CA, go to polamar mountain, not sure of anything in between so i'll skip to the east coast, daytona bike week in Florida, then you can go up to NC...actually i think its in TN, anyway, you can go to the "tail of the dragon" (probably the best road in the country)

http://daytona.bikeweek.com/
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

you can always go here to. never been there just hear its pretty cool :D
www.mardigras.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you got big balls go to Deal's Gap( Tail of the Dragon, I'll leave that to those other fools though, i'd kill myself, lol)... but Tennessee also has a lot of other good roads/ areas... Natchez Trace Highway, Center Hill Lake... i'm sure everywhere has somewhere good to ride, but i'd stay in the south :D

·
Premium Member
1,000,000,259 Posts
I don't see a problem with the camper shell and trailer other then price for 3 months rental but I don't know any place which will rent you any type of motorcycle much less a supersport?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would definitly stay in the southern part of the states. Depending on when you go, some of the northern states may still have snow (it's already snowing in some areas, and that sometime's lasts till April or May).

I'd also stay in the south because the mid west/northern states are mostly flat, straight roads that go on FOREVER. Good for speed, bad for curve enthusiasts. I'd ride across in the lower states, to FL, and then take 95 up, which is a good stretch of road that will take you all the way into NYC (done that highway from one end to the other).

·
Registered
543 Posts
yup interstate 10 from cali all the way east to florida, and then up I-95 to new york....i'm not too sure about where to stop but i'm sure you can look up local events, and if you go the southern route let me know and pm me and i'll give you my # and we could do some riding, got some sweet twisties down here as well as mississippi alabama florida and georgia...anyhows good luck on your trip, hope it's a fun and safe one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
don't know exactly how far it goes but the Natchez Trace HWY in MS is a 50mph zone, definitely not sportbike friendly as there are many troopers on it as well. I do hear its a great ride for a cruiser though

·
Registered
532 Posts
Lyte- said:
I don't see a problem with the camper shell and trailer other then price for 3 months rental but I don't know any place which will rent you any type of motorcycle much less a supersport?

The only place i've ever seen rent a bike was a harley shop in daytona for bike week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great

Thanks for all you response.
Look's like I'll have some homework to do!
I do know of a place to rent a bike, but they only do BMW's or Harleys. I may see if I can ship over a bike somehow instead.

Would be great to meet sone of you along the way. Keep those suggestions coming in!!

Max

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah you have a lot of homework to do. Is this the same Max that was on here before? If you come to Alabama I will show you some great twisties and send you towards Deals Gap. Stay out of Florida if you like curves. Also if I were you I would try to plan around the time of the US GP. I know in 2005 it is going to be at Laguna Seca but as far as 2006 goes who knows. I also would do this in the summer months, from May on. When you start your research, keep in touch with me and I'll try to advise you on your decisions.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
ZGixxeR said:
Yeah you have a lot of homework to do. Is this the same Max that was on here before? If you come to Alabama I will show you some great twisties and send you towards Deals Gap. Stay out of Florida if you like curves. Also if I were you I would try to plan around the time of the US GP. I know in 2005 it is going to be at Laguna Seca but as far as 2006 goes who knows. I also would do this in the summer months, from May on. When you start your research, keep in touch with me and I'll try to advise you on your decisions.
The US GP is going to be in Laguna for the Next 5 years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Guys, keep it coming

Yes I am the same Max as before. I have worked out a state to state intinery. Let me know what you think.

Start
New York
New Jersey
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Minnesota
Louisiana
Texas
Oaklahoma
Kansas
Colorado
New Mexico
Arizona
Utah
Nevada
Idaho
Oregan
Washington
Oregon (*again)
California

Any feeback would be welcome.
:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,000,000,259 Posts
What time of the year are you planing to come?

·
Premium Member
1,000,000,259 Posts
So from july till sept?

·
Registered
543 Posts
looks good to me exept youll be in mississippi between louisiana and alabama not minnesota :thumbup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you get to Alabama you will have to come by and ride with me, or party. Make sure you drop me a pm. I'm sure I will still be around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts