Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st post here, but not new to forums or bikes. I'm sure the OP has gone and done whatever she did, but this thread is still getting plenty of attention, and for the growing market of small, motogirls, good info.

To start, I'm 5'3" (at least that's what I'll tell you) and, ummm, well, let's just say I'm not leggy either. As for outgrowing the 250, all I'll say is it's the rider, not the bike. The 250 will still out-accelerate 90% of the cars on the street, and with a set of Pirelli Sport Demons will corner with the best of 'em. She was my 1st, but after twisting the right handle of the hubby's Ninja 650 I was sprung. If Corvette fast acceleration isn't for you, the little Ninja is plenty fast and tops out over 100 mph.

Now, on to the Ninja 650. I was ready to step it up, so the ol' man lowered his for me to share. The Ninja 650 is not meant to be lowered. There is a lowering link available for it on ebay for about $100, and all it does is make the crappy shock angle on it worse by relocating the lower shock mount point up and back about 1" and weaken an already weak shock angle. It drops the bike 2" in the rear, and he lowered the front 2" to match, and it was still too tall for me...

BTW, +1 to whoever it was that mentioned tucking in your laces - or better yet, get some real riding boots. Work boots aren't designed to do the same things as motorcycle boots. I dropped his bike in the garage (the day before his sliders arrived in the mail) when my laces got caught on the kickstand peg because I was hurrying to get it down before I fell anyways. So, off to shop for a bike that fit me.

Of the new, showroom floor bikes, it really came down to the CBR, SV and GSXR for the ergos that I liked. Without swimsuit-model legs, I could firmly get the balls of my feet on the ground standing over the GSXR. All can be lowered, but the GSXR seemed to fit me best, and here I am. Another month or so 'till the car is paid off and my local shop has a beautiful white/blue '08. My only real concern was getting into the inline 4 SS 600's. My father, who has 100s of thousands of bike miles highly recommended the Ninja 500 or the SV to stay with the more predictable twin engines, but with the 3-mode engine management switch, I was able to argue him down. As for the twins, and the one that said the Ninja 650 isn't as quick... the 650 twin has lots of torque, but lacks in horsepower. 0-80 the 650 may be even quicker than the SS 600s, but it is a dog over 100 mph. A younger (and lighter) guy on an '08 CBR 600 just came back from a ride with my husband saying he couldn't keep up in the twistys. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im 5'4" 115 just bought an 08 gsxr 600, i tip toe both sides,holdin it up and stopping are not an issue for me, id be more comfortable if it was a lil lower but, i manage perfectly fine..the only real issue i have with it is back it up, big pain in the ass but im also still gettin used to it...ummm i d k bout the rest but mine as far as weight goes my title says 405.i presonaly havent had an issue with the weight yet, except for backin it up or manuvering it by hand to take it in and out, but riding it and stoping and all that no prob at all

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Post pics up of your new bike sonya

Well that bike is gone now, I bought a 07 gsxr 600. I'm modding it out right now but I'll post pics in a few weeks when its done. Lucky for me this one was also lowered when I bought, now that I'm more comfortable I may raise it back to stock to see how it feels.

This is what it looks like now...

Maybe I'll shoot for bike of the month when its done ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well that bike is gone now, I bought a 07 gsxr 600. I'm modding it out right now but I'll post pics in a few weeks when its done. Lucky for me this one was also lowered when I bought, now that I'm more comfortable I may raise it back to stock to see how it feels.

This is what it looks like now...

Maybe I'll shoot for bike of the month when its done ;)
thats what my bike looks like right now!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Congratulations on stepping up to the gsxr! It looks great but I find it hilarious that it still has the fender eliminator chillin on there haha

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Congratulations on stepping up to the gsxr! It looks great but I find it hilarious that it still has the fender eliminator chillin on there haha

·
Registered
971 Posts
thread is a year old people. sonya has probably grown since then. :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
lol. I know its ugly. But its off. And before anyone says something about the hanger on the exhaust I know its suppose to be lower but thats what my mechanic did because he was test driving it and it scraped so he raised the hanger up a bit.

thread is a year old people. sonya has probably grown since then. :lol:
Unfortunately I haven't. lol.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Weight

It's not the height so much its the weight, I was also looking at a 650r Kawasaki which is 393 lbs.
Why are you going on about the weight ? when anybody gets on a bike they dont lift the weight of the bike, same as when you pull it up off the side stand you are not lifting 22stone you are pulling it up level to balance it . You should be able to rock it from left to right between your thighs with feet firmly on the ground and no hands , you now know you have control of it. People who ride Harleys,Honda Goldwings etc arent weight lifters, they balance the weight, so get the weight issue out of your head and you will ride any bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I say shave the seat it will be much easier

I own a 07 Kawasaki 250 that I bought in October, I'm a tad bored with it now so I was looking to upgrade. However I'm 5'1, 105lbs. I know I can drop the bike a few inches but me being on the small side as far as weight would I be able to handle it?

My very first bike was a Kawasaki EX500 which I dropped about 3 times on the first day, I took the MSF and bought it a few weeks after, but after deciding it was way to heavy I got the 250. I didn't get a chance to learn on it. So now that I'm more experienced it won't be as bad right? When I bought the bike I had no idea it was heavier than the 600's. 388 lbs. as opposed to my 304 lbs ninja.

With all that said what is the best sportbike for my frame? I assumed the GSXR because of the weight and seat height which seems to be the best for short people, R6 came in close but I here it is faster and not really interested in something super fast.

I here people saying their 5'6 and have to lean to one side when stoppin with the gsxr and then others say their 5'0 and lowered it 1 1/2 and are fine. Doesn't quite add up?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Man it's been awhile since i been on here!!!!

Anyways back to the thread. I'm 5'3 I've been riding for about 8 years. Started on a 2001 Honda F4i, logged about 12,000 or so miles then sold it. Bought an 06 gixxer 600, logged about 9,000 miles on that baby. Now I'm on a K7 gixxer 1000. There have been a couple times when I thought I was going to kill myself on all 3 bikes, but that was while ridding twisties and pushing to hard. Never once had an issue at a stop light or stop signs....never felt like the bike was going to tip or fall. Plus the bikes are so perfectly balanced they want to stay upright. I'm on tiptoe or drop to one foot.

No need to drop the bike...plus who the hell spends that much time at stop signs and stop lights to worry about it? I'm on the highways and backroads 95% of the time i'm on my bike. Only time I encounter lights/stop signs is on my way to and from my house, or pulling off to get gas.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life....:bounce...peace and ride safe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife is 5'1" and she's riden every bike I've owned. Including a 2002 600 and an 05 600 (both stock height) and now my 2002 1k with 200bhp. She's a beast and totally will one-leg it at a stop sign. Props to all the shorter riders out there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Im 5'1 and i have a 2007 GSXR 600. I had to buy the lowering kit and i would say it dropped it about 3inches. My issue is that now on a few occasions my exhaust is bottoming out a lil bit. Im trying to find a resolution to that now.
^^^buy a high mount exhaust, the answer to your question is just that easy! :infrandom

41 - 60 of 115 Posts