Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Amsoil ?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  stackle2 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals I have a quick question. I have about 1200 miles on my 04 1K, and my local napa store sells Amsoil 10w 40 motorcycle oil that Im wanting to switch to here pretty soon. Im going to use an OEM filter, so should I still change the oil every 2 to 3000 miles? Amsoil claims that you can get alot more miles out of there oils. Its pretty expensive oil no matter where you buy it, so I dont want to throw away alot of money. Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
I change my oil every 3000 miles, I don't care what type of oil your using, I'd change it ever 3k, because your going to have metal and clutch fibers floating around in your oil and you dont want that stuff in there that long.

#6 ·
Ryno said:
Never tried Amsoil, but the guys that use it seem to be really happy with it.
Like the fellas have said, change it often.
I change the oil and filter in my bike every 1500 miles.
You are wasting money. And it is proven that used WELL FILTERED oil lubes better than new oil. If it makes you feel better, I would change the filter every 2000 and the oil every 4000 or so. I also change it every winter no matter how many miles it has, as used oil has acidic combustion by probucts that can reak havoc when left sitting.

Amsoil is a kick ass oil, just hard to find for some.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd be real interested to see the proof that used oil lubricates better than new oil.
I don't think it's a waste of money at all. Think of how in most bikes the motor oil is used for the tranny as well as everything else. It's not like a car (or Harley for that matter) where you've got separate real slick tranny fluid.
The tranny is by far the toughest thing on oil.
Hell I change the oil in my car every three thousand, my bike gets it more.
I know plenty of people that change it every three thousand, sometimes more and have never had a problem, so I'm not saying it's a must.
Just my prefrence.

#8 ·
yes, motorcycle trannies are integtrated with the crank case. This is also why you need to use motorcycle specific oils. I dont currently have the articles I have seen about used oils, but i know it has been scientifically proven.

Changing the oil in your car every 3000 is a waste also, and MOST car manufacturers recommend changing it 5-7 thousand now. I chnge my oil every 3-4 in my bike..... better safe than sorry right. But 1500 is rediculous. I change my car every 7-10 thousand. I only go that long because I commute 100 miles round trip a day on the highway

#10 ·
johnnylovely said:
Suzuki recommends changing oil every 4K and the filter every 11K.

I change oil every 4K and the filter every 8K or every other oil change.
I don't have experience with it, but I wouldn't trust the life of my bike to anybodys claims about their product. I say, keep changing that oil as regularly as you have been... or more often. :)

#11 ·
Let's see, my 2002 GSXR 600 has 33,000+ miles on her, never had a mechanical issue, never replaced/adjusted the clutch, and never had a gearbox/transmission problem. I ran OEM oil for about the first 5k-6k then went to Amsoil with Amsoil filter. I did about 35-40 trackdays on her (now thats some abuse on the motor). There have been occassions where I have changed my oil 3-4 times in one month due to trackdays. When not in track season I change it every other month or so (2k-3k miles probably). I just believe in clean oil and clean filters. Although, I do change the filter every other oil change during track/race season as do most racers and track riders. Street riding is one thing but track riding/racing is another. Street riding does not even come close to the sustained high rpms that are experienced on the track. Sure on the street you may redline or approach redline for a second, maybe even a few. On the track the bikes stay in the 10k-14k rpm (even higher on some bikes) for 15-20 minutes. You better have some good oil if you want your engine to last. If clean oil can protect under those conditions then it will do just fine on street applications. In the past 3 years of track riding I've only seen one blown motor and it was a 2 stroke. Do you what makes you happy. I would follow the manual at minimum when it comes to oil changes. Manufacturers don't spend millions on R&D for nothing. By the way, you can become your own Amsoil dealer for $35 per year. I did and I save $55 per case compared to retail and that includes the shipping to my house.

#12 ·
motochick said:
I don't have experience with it, but I wouldn't trust the life of my bike to anybodys claims about their product. I say, keep changing that oil as regularly as you have been... or more often. :)
+1 :thumbup:

#13 ·
Motojoe_23 said:
I chnge my oil every 3-4 in my bike..... better safe than sorry right. But 1500 is rediculous
Hey Joe how about every 75-125 miles :D . That's just on the track bike

#14 ·
I have been using the Mobil 1 syn for bikes for about 4 years. Never a problem and the clutch feels good. I change the oil and the filter every 3/k or twice a season. Always change her right before winter hits. I hear nothing but good things about Amsoil and my dyno tuner swears by it so I will try it the next oil change! Which will be this month. :thumbup:

#15 ·
i went to my local kragen auto store and looked at the motorcycle oils...they all ran between $8-9 a quart. amsoil was $8.25 on-line plus shipping so i figured it was the same price and i've heard nothing but good things about this product so i wanted to try it.

i just changed my oil for the 1st time using the motorcycle specific amsoil and my bike runs smooth! i noticed that my bike pulled harder -- especially in the lower rpm's 1-5k :thumbup: no complaints so far! i will probably continue to use amsoil for future oil changes.

it was money well spent.

#17 ·
Ok guys here is the thing with amsoil you don't need to change the oil for 25,000 just change the filter at your reguler intervals. This is a proven fact with amsoil. Truckers that use this on thier truck don't need to change there oil for 100,000 to 125,000 miles just the filters. Now if Amsoil wanted your money they would tell you to change your oil every 3,000 miles wouldn't they?
Now bikes need oil specific because of the clutch and tranny and they have that too. you can go to there website to read up on it.

#18 ·
I just started using amsoil and i am very pleased so far. It is a little pricey but i think its worth it. I usually go about 3000 on an oil change and the filter the same. your right there might as well do both at the same time is how i look at it.

#20 ·
johnnylovely said:
Suzuki recommends changing oil every 4K and the filter every 11K.
I think the oil change is actually every 3500 mi. The first 600 mile service throws it off. I'm also a believer in a filter at every oil change. A problem some of the cars with 15000 mile oil changes are seeing is the paper in the oil filters are breaking down.

#22 ·
skibum91 said:
I change my oil every 3000 miles, I don't care what type of oil your using, I'd change it ever 3k, because your going to have metal and clutch fibers floating around in your oil and you dont want that stuff in there that long.
+1 on that, I do the same thing, but I run my bike pretty damn hard...before I wrecked was putting on at least a thousand miles a month, that's a lot of wear and tear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.