Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Here's my problem. I have a 2000 gsxr600. When I bought the bike, I found out that the cam chain tensioner was going bad. I don't know how long it was doing that before I bought it, but it started making that rattling noise a few days after I bought it. I got the bike dynoed a little bit ago 'cuz I thought the power was a little low. he fixed the a/f ratio, but he thinks the cam chain might have skipped a tooth while the cam chain tensioner was going out. So does anyone know how to adjust this?
I know I'm going to have to take the valve cover off and crank the engine to TDC. But am I going to have to take out the cam chain tensioner again to adjust the cam? And if so. . . how do I wind it back up? Or do I just have to buy another one that already has tension set on it and put that one in when I'm done? I'm lost on this one, so anyone who can help me. . . I would appreciate it. Thnx.

-Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same bike I did find out if you look inside he cct it has a flat head screw with a thin screw driver you can turn the screw inside the cct and it will retract,

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
You 'Little Rascal' you!
Not quite sure if he's still trying to figure it out- that post was from 16 yrs ago!
But got to know!

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced my auto cct with a manual one! Easy enough job to do if you didn't jump time, putting it back in time isn't that much more difficult either

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Replaced my auto cct with a manual one! Easy enough job to do if you didn't jump time, putting it back in time isn't that much more difficult either
I'm going ask, 'How do you know?' LOL

I've done the MCCT. Didn't take the valve cover off either- didn't have to.

·
Registered
2020 suzuki gsxr600
36 Posts
Alright. Here's my problem. I have a 2000 gsxr600. When I bought the bike, I found out that the cam chain tensioner was going bad. I don't know how long it was doing that before I bought it, but it started making that rattling noise a few days after I bought it. I got the bike dynoed a little bit ago 'cuz I thought the power was a little low. he fixed the a/f ratio, but he thinks the cam chain might have skipped a tooth while the cam chain tensioner was going out. So does anyone know how to adjust this?
I know I'm going to have to take the valve cover off and crank the engine to TDC. But am I going to have to take out the cam chain tensioner again to adjust the cam? And if so. . . how do I wind it back up? Or do I just have to buy another one that already has tension set on it and put that one in when I'm done? I'm lost on this one, so anyone who can help me. . . I would appreciate it. Thnx.

-Rob
How many miles does the bike have on it Rob?

·
Registered
2020 suzuki gsxr600
36 Posts
You 'Little Rascal' you!
Not quite sure if he's still trying to figure it out- that post was from 16 yrs ago!
But got to know!
I keep having that problem as the posts do not have a post date? Annoying being told its over a decade old.

·
Registered
2020 suzuki gsxr600
36 Posts
Ok I just saw the date on the original post. What I find perplexing is why a thread is in the NEW section when its that old?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Ok I just saw the date on the original post. What I find perplexing is why a thread is in the NEW section when its that old?
Hey there Tucci,
Digging up an old threadand posting on it like it was current, no biggie really. We've all done it at some point.

If a thread gets 'dug up'/posted on- it goes right back on the 'new' board. Cause the last post is 'new'

Have a great Holiday Weekend all.

Reactions: TUCCI
1 - 9 of 9 Posts