Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a pair of Alpinestars SP-2 gloves for riding. Just wondering if any of you put leather protectant and what kind on your gloves to keep them from drying out, etc. So far I have 1-1/2 riding seasons out of mine and they still look like new. I really like the protection they offer and the fit.
Thanks,. Karl

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use a lather conditioner. Available in auto stores.

I think the salt from your hands is the enemy. I do a clear water rinse every few years.

·
24,632 Posts
My clear water rinse is triggered by getting caught in the rain on the highway, I will rinse them out after that to get all the road grime out of the leather before they dry. I have use leather boot conditioner on them sparingly after that so they don't get stiff. Once they dry I put on the gloves and rub the conditioner in like I am putting cream on my hands, mostly the palm and fingers, not much on the back. You are right, salt from your hands is not good.

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
Yes, and it makes a big difference. After a few summer track days or getting caught in the rain the gloves get pretty stiff and that is not good for longevity or protection (dry leather shreds, wears through and fails easier).

I've been using Leather Therapy for years which I can find in tack stores, Tractor Supply and on Amazon and the gloves, suits, etc. are much softer afterward.

Just apply it with a small piece of cloth till the leather won't absorb any more, then wipe with a damp cloth. After it dries the surface is a bit sticky feeling, which I don't find to be a problem, but that goes away quickly.

I have also used Lexol which is available in auto parts stores and Walmart but get better results (the leather stays softer, longer) with Leather Therapy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! I'll check those products out. After riding I try to always hang the gloves on one of those hangers with the clips. I hang them fingers down so the moisture can rise up and out through the cuff end.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,684 Posts
I've been using Leather Therapy for years which I can find in tack stores, Tractor Supply and on Amazon and the gloves, suits, etc. are much softer afterward.

I have also used Lexol which is available in auto parts stores and Walmart but get better results (the leather stays softer, longer) with Leather Therapy.
I've used Lexol with good results but may check this out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good ideas. My gloves are mostly white with some black and hi-viz yellowish/green. So whatever I use, I don't want to darken the white.
The Leather Therapy brand looks expensive, but they also sell a cleaner I could use before hand.

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
Lexol is clear/white. The Leather Therapy is light honey colored. I've not used it on an all white suit yet so can't comment about how it does. I did not notice any color change on the white trim I've used it on. A little goes a long way.

I've no used the cleaner.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't used the Honey on white either. The interior of my BMW is very light gray, and I haven't had any discoloration or anything. Each time I apply it, I use a leather cleaner first. then follow the instruction on the bottle. All of my other leather is dark gray, or black. I know, no help here, lol... I don't remember what I paid for the leather honey, but it wasn't very expensive. Pretty sure I ordered it from Amazon too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts