Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
Think of it kinda like this. You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. Trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty.
Good analogy!:clap:

Thanks for the post Joshua.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Since i am new, i found this very informative! I go out practicing without wearing my jackett, i think i am going to think twice about that! Great advice
Hmmm good plan me thinks... :hmmm:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ehh, Too long..Had to hit the page down button :damn: I'll read it later..*assuming* thanks for the informative article :thumbup:
LOL

So no coke lines on the gas tank at stop lights or sipping my flask? Man... Charlie Sheen will never go riding with me again now.....
:lol: jk

Good post, interesting read.
I'll ride with Charlie any day. :bounce How's the truck shopping coming or are you lookin at studs for the bike instead?

Think of it kinda like this. You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. Trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty.
Awesome analogy! I'm theiving this one!

Although experience can lead to over confidence and pushing your luck and we all know where that leads!
The only way to make sure you never ever crash is stay in bed and off the roads! Unfortunately there are people out there that shouldn't be!
I was thinking the same thing about experience leading to overconfidence!

ON A LONG ENOUGH TIMELINE THE SURVIVAL RATE FOR EVERYONE DROPS TO ZERO!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good info on that post. Most points should always be followed. Some points should definately be followed by new riders. New riders should avoid riding in the rain and at night until they get comfortable with their riding and their machine. Riding in the rain and at night are dangerous, however at some point one needs to have experience riding in the rain and at night to become more proficient at riding. Someone who never rides in the rain gets caught in a suprise rain, has a greater chance of wrecking due to inexperience. I'm not suggesting you go ride in a hurricane or ride unnecessarily in the rain, but some rain experience is good. Its a double edge sword; it gives you experience, but you also have a higher chance of wrecking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That was a good post. I feel you take a chance anytime you get in or operate any type of vehicle. The biggest difference is you are more like to get hurt in a car than a bike. Another thing I notice about more experienced riders is they get a little too confident sometimes and lose respect for the bike, but with new riders they tend to be more cautious in fear of getting into an accident:cool:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That was a good post. I feel you take a chance anytime you get in or operate any type of vehicle. The biggest difference is you are more like to get hurt in a car than a bike. Another thing I notice about more experienced riders is they get a little too confident sometimes and lose respect for the bike, but with new riders they tend to be more cautious in fear of getting into an accident:cool:
Unless you are some 16 year old with a I'm God mentality, then you will more than likely die. Troof. :lol: Speaking of 16 year olds, what happened to YoshiBlaise? or whatever his name was..

·
The Dude
4,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Unless you are some 16 year old with a I'm God mentality, then you will more than likely die. Troof. :lol: Speaking of 16 year olds, what happened to YoshiBlaise? or whatever his name was..
Good question?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
unless youre a robot , you or someone else will make a mistake, causing a wreck . this will happen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good article with some very good suggestions. I have ridden over 27 years and have been lucky, as I haven't been run over or hit someone else (yet). I am a sometimes paranoid rider that doesn't trust anyone. I keep a good distance from others and rarely take risks.

Accidents aren't necessarily inevitable, but they happen more often when you take too many risks in traffic. I have seen some bite it when they could have avoided it. I am by no means Mr Clean, but I do recommend that you think before you try something too ignorant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a new rider and owner I really enjoyed reading this and the information I got from it. Thanks for having shared this so us new riders can become aware of things we might have thought about but never really payed much attention to.

I too am a paranoid driver and find that when I ride my brain and eyes are scanning my surroundings very fast. Usually when I ride for a long time mental fatigue hits me as soon as I get home. In Cali we can split the lane/lane share and I do it only between lanes 1 and 2, or carpool and 1st lane, when traffic gets bad but my rule if thumb is to only go 15-20 miles faster than slow moving traffic. When a faster moving rider comes up behind me I move over and let them by. I need to get home to my wife and kids:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
good info but some just cant be avoided, like when cars come around blind turns in your lane and all you have is a wall to run into and a cliff on the other side of the wall

·
Registered
188 Posts
good info but some just cant be avoided, like when cars come around blind turns in your lane and all you have is a wall to run into and a cliff on the other side of the wall
I've been hit by a car, and crashed a bike 8 times now... :( I push myself and my abilities too hard at times, and make stupid mistakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The longer you ride the more chance you have of crashing... thanks captain obvious, that's the same as saying if you handle snakes your chance of getting bitten is better.

Good advise however besides the gear I believe there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. It's called an accident for a reason. When it happens it happens, its the way you react at that time that saves your life.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts