Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Number 7 is so true, wish I could wear that on a T-Shirt all the time.

We all love speeding, but if the SUV in front of you forgets to indicate and suddenly brakes, you will be the one getting hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks

I'm very new to riding. Purchasing my 1st bike right now(check out avatar). I can never get enough of safety information
:thumbup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Awesome reading.. very informative me as a new rider im doing the MSF atm but this def helped out also. thanks for the post

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to print this out and give copies to anyone I ride with. Both for them and for me. Might seem kinda lame but this information will save lives. I think I would have ridden differently on my first bike if I had considered some of the statistics and points the author made. Thanks for passing this along. :clap:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a couple of very close shaves but it's been one year of riding (two months of which on my K1 GSXR-600) and no accidents, touch wood. (Two 'Vehicle Contacts' where I filtered into wing mirrors but nothing broken.) I never go anywhere without my spine protector.

Very good points made up there but one worth adding would be that not only do you stand more chance of crashing the longer you ride, but also there's a crossover point where rider experience and rider confidence meet at a dangerous imbalance.

Riders that are inexperienced
Riders that are confident

These are most likely to cause/get into the accidents.
Unfortunately most of the time, you don't know your limits until you accidentally meet them. That one's yet to come for me but I'll just keep wearing my gear and doing what I can. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Unless you are some 16 year old with a I'm God mentality, then you will more than likely die. Troof. :lol: Speaking of 16 year olds, what happened to YoshiBlaise? or whatever his name was..
Oh noes 16 yr olds? In this town just about everybody is 18 to 25 who i'm (avoiding) riding with... slowly I'm upgrading to an older crowd... but I think it's because they whittle their own numbers down (the amount of boys that ride here in flip flops and a baseball cap is outstanding).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh noes 16 yr olds? In this town just about everybody is 18 to 25 who i'm (avoiding) riding with... slowly I'm upgrading to an older crowd... but I think it's because they whittle their own numbers down (the amount of boys that ride here in flip flops and a baseball cap is outstanding).
Most people my age are on Harleys, so I can't upgrade to an older crowd. Unless of course I trade in the gix for a wheelchair. :cool:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Most people my age are on Harleys, so I can't upgrade to an older crowd. Unless of course I trade in the gix for a wheelchair. :cool:
LOL!!! well I'm 21, and most of us are retarded. I've been riding with a crowd in Topeka... and I'm thinking they're even crazier... I'ma stick with my boo Kylee here we'll just turtle around until we feel safe with the big boys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
......but also there's a crossover point where rider experience and rider confidence meet at a dangerous imbalance.

Riders that are inexperienced
Riders that are confident

These are most likely to cause/get into the accidents.
Unfortunately most of the time, you don't know your limits until you accidentally meet them. That one's yet to come for me but I'll just keep wearing my gear and doing what I can. :)
+1 right here. Its hard to explain sometimes, but those that know..well they know. My younger brother low sided on hwy-74 out here in cali, hit some gravel right before entering a turn and the bike slide off an embankment. $9750 in damage, not including the stitches on his knee. He had just started riding in February too...good thing he had his helmet, jacket and gloves on.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the post

Joshua42007 thanks for the post, I am starting the MSF this Thursday and found this information helpful to prepare myself for riding. Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
We always used to say that there were two types of riders...
Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

Just make sure you are prepared when it happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We always used to say that there were two types of riders...
Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

Just make sure you are prepared when it happens.
Def. Agree. I've been riding for over 7 years. A car finally hit me. Good thing i believe in wearing FULL gear. Still broke my ankle tho. Dress for the crash and not the ride gentlemen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL

I was thinking the same thing about experience leading to overconfidence!
That was my mistake, i got so used to taking corners at such a high speed on the street, i stopped thinking about other factors, like a warm tire, debris in the road. Im paying the price for it now but lucky to be alive!

41 - 60 of 168 Posts