Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
something to add for #7, reduce speed when there's no light/lamp post on the streets. can't depend on your headlights completely.
I just crashed my bike last night b/c the road was completely dark.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I feel most riders will probably have some type of accident the more they ride whether it be your fault or someone else's. either inexperience or too much confidence, plus stupidity are the biggest reasons for wrecks IMO... Just gotta be careful and always stay alert...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
no one learns from other mistakes, so if you fall learn from that one, so it doesnt happen again, also learning from close calls helps to

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was brought up with the '' its not a question of if but when the question is how bad'' mentality and the how bad is up to you.

Most of my riding is on rural roads and I average seeing around 3 deer every week. Between that and the dirt on the road you never know whats around the next corner.

My very first ride on the road my self some one ran a stop sign and I almost hit him straight on. The guy was looking right at me when he pulled out.

Best advice I have ever gotten was ride like there out to kill you, it keeps you on your toes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wtf. this article is for pussies.

dont ride at night?
are you serious? be careful of corners....blah blah blah....lol. you might as well not own a bike if you are that scared to ride it. jesus what has this world become when we are so scared to ride?

if you are that scared, dont ride. get rid of your bike....if you ride with no fear you will never die
:0001136745-jerkit:

So far this is the only post I have read on this forum that made me think the author was mentally retarded. Telling new riders to disregard safety guidelines and advice from seasoned riders is not only irresponsible and sets a bad example, it's an all around asshat move.

Thinking about your technique and habits are as important as changing your oil. Complacency and routine can be deadly with 4lbs/hp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Three rules....

The people in the cars and trucks can't see you.
The people in the cars and trucks see you, and don't give a damn.
If it makes your butt pucker on the seat, its a good bet you did it to yourself, think about it...

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
If it makes your butt pucker on the seat, its a good bet you did it to yourself, think about it...
You obviously have never experienced a situation where you had absolutely had no control over the outcome. Sometimes accidents are inevitable. Grow up bro. You can't control everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Uh huh...

You obviously have never experienced a situation where you had absolutely had no control over the outcome. Sometimes accidents are inevitable. Grow up bro. You can't control everything.

No, I do not accept excuses, I am a professional driver, any accident I have could have been avoided, and it is MY fault... I think I'm grown Son, hell, I have Great Grandkids!:D Been on two wheels for fifty years...

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
No, I do not accept excuses, I am a professional driver, any accident I have could have been avoided, and it is MY fault... I think I'm grown Son, hell, I have Great Grandkids!:D Been on two wheels for fifty years...
I disagree entirely...unless you are on the track. Introducing ignorant and unpredictable drivers into your environment can cause a wreck that is totally unavoidable. No matter your skill level or length of experience. I believe the large majority of wrecks ARE avoidable, but some situations, you just can't beat physics.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm with snow on this one. The vast majority of accidents are avoidable and were we going a little slower, or paying a little more attention we'd just have a close call. But shit man what if a car falls out of the sky and lands on you, that's pretty fuckin unavoidable. Sometimes you can't beat physics.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
SuperMod of the North
25,632 Posts
This thread always smolders & never quite goes out. I think Great Grampa Retread is saying if you look at the last thing that scared you, you will probably find something you could have done differently. Don't just blame it on a stupid driver that cut into your lane for no reason...maybe your lane position or awareness could have been sharper. You guys already know & live by that rule anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shit happens

Yep Tinsnips.. What I'm saying is there is always a way to avoid an accident, if you are riding in heavy traffic, pick another time that is not as congested. If you are in bad weather, find a dry spot and take a break till weather passes. On two wheels means you have to give everyone around you plenty of room, give yourself plenty of room to escape a bad situation, and always have your head in the game.

I have heard and experienced just about every bad situation, from guys just sitting at a stop light getting run over, to getting forced into guardrails by other riders. Everyone of these could have been avoided by either riding at a different time, or knowing who you are driving with.. But as I said before, if you do get into a bad situation, do not just push it off as fate, or the other guys fault, take a closer look at what YOU can do to avoid it in the future...

And yep, I have dumped myself several times, everyone of them could have been avoided, from showing off as a kid, to trying to carry three cases of beer on the back, or just plain going to fast.. Learn from the experience, you can't control what the codger, or the MILF with a cell to her ear is going to do, but you can keep yourself a safe distance from them... Happy riding..:bounce

191 Posts
Yep Tinsnips.. What I'm saying is there is always a way to avoid an accident, if you are riding in heavy traffic, pick another time that is not as congested. If you are in bad weather, find a dry spot and take a break till weather passes. On two wheels means you have to give everyone around you plenty of room, give yourself plenty of room to escape a bad situation, and always have your head in the game.

I have heard and experienced just about every bad situation, from guys just sitting at a stop light getting run over, to getting forced into guardrails by other riders. Everyone of these could have been avoided by either riding at a different time, or knowing who you are driving with.. But as I said before, if you do get into a bad situation, do not just push it off as fate, or the other guys fault, take a closer look at what YOU can do to avoid it in the future...

And yep, I have dumped myself several times, everyone of them could have been avoided, from showing off as a kid, to trying to carry three cases of beer on the back, or just plain going to fast.. Learn from the experience, you can't control what the codger, or the MILF with a cell to her ear is going to do, but you can keep yourself a safe distance from them... Happy riding..:bounce
I think you and snow both have good points. I don't think every collision is avoidable because there are a lot of variable :0001136745-huh: factors, but there are things to decrease the probability. Still good info Josh :phatyo:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
ATGATT i really like that saying! i know last year even when it was really hot i wore my jacket they are made to breathe and i know some of my friends made fun of me but i was at least safe! lol:D

·
Registered
78 Posts

Alright, I'm new, yes, but I have something to chime in here. When someone hits you from behind, how is there anyway to avoid it without knowing before hand that it was going to happen? And saying "should have road at a different time" is stupid. That's like saying "never go ride".

I'm my case, I was riding my sv650 back from school with all my gear. There was a lady in a huge mail truck perpendicular to me on the right, pulling up to the street I was riding on. I was watching her the entire time and literally looking at her tires to see if she was going to stop.

Story short, she California stopped at the last second and darted across all 3 lanes, leaving me with oncoming traffic, a wall, or trees, to drive into. I didn't have time to fully stop either, and If I had slammed on my brakes to avoid what could be "a potential accident" every time something like that happened, then no one should be driving, ever. There would be a lot more rear end crashes.

So I kindfully disagree with your saying "every accident is avoidable". :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
No cigar...

Alright, I'm new, yes, but I have something to chime in here. When someone hits you from behind, how is there anyway to avoid it without knowing before hand that it was going to happen? And saying "should have road at a different time" is stupid. That's like saying "never go ride".

I'm my case, I was riding my sv650 back from school with all my gear. There was a lady in a huge mail truck perpendicular to me on the right, pulling up to the street I was riding on. I was watching her the entire time and literally looking at her tires to see if she was going to stop.

Story short, she California stopped at the last second and darted across all 3 lanes, leaving me with oncoming traffic, a wall, or trees, to drive into. I didn't have time to fully stop either, and If I had slammed on my brakes to avoid what could be "a potential accident" every time something like that happened, then no one should be driving, ever. There would be a lot more rear end crashes.

So I kindfully disagree with your saying "every accident is avoidable". :)

Sounds like you were driving in heavy traffic, not a good place for a bike, always give yourself an out, the "what if" factor should always be the rule, and not the exception... You can disagree, but always learn..

81 - 100 of 168 Posts