Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone thanks in advance for any help! Ok first off I have a 2020 Raptor 700 I just got 6 months ago that I paid $10,300 cash for. Haven’t rode it as much Bc of work but it was time for a good service done to it. So I take the bike back to the dealership here in NC I got it from to get serviced. They had the bike about 3 weeks and today they called and said we have bad news.. I’m thinking hey it can’t be that bad the bike is pretty much brand new if anything it does has factory warranty still on it so oh well.. So he goes on and say man I’m really sorry but your bike got stolen last night. I Immediately asked so do I get Reimbursed for it Bc it was in you guys care? He says no but they will give me my service fees back that I paid to get done to the bike that was 1,700 but it’s nothing they can do about the reimbursement on the whole bike..So I asked why not? He says Bc you signed a waiver saying they aren’t responsible for theft. So at that point I knew they have $#%^* me over! So what im asking is what can I do in this situation? Bc I feel it’s laws above a “waiver“ BS .

Ps this just happened today I already called the police and getting the police report this week.I also confirmed they had called the police and got one as well. I’m waiting on Both!

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Welcome. I'm not sure why you joined a GSXR motorcycle forum to post about a Raptor but here are my thoughts anyway.

1. Did they give you a copy of the signed work order with the theft waiver at the time you left the Raptor with them? You might want to check with NC consumer affairs as they have pretty strict laws regarding auto repair and providing you with a copy of the estimate. I don't know if this would apply to a non-tagged vehicle.

2. You can bet they have liability and garage-keepers insurance, I'm guessing they are trying to avoid a claim. The Raptor was in their "Care, custody and control" and a reasonable person would expect it to be safe.

3. Do you have any insurance on the Raptor? There is a thin chance your home owners or renters policy might cover it but read the exclusion section. I know they exclude tagged vehicles or other road type vehicles. This is the easiest route if the policy will respond. If they do pay, they will likely seek reimbursement from the dealer.

4. The last route of choice is to sue them and see if the waiver stands up as reasonable, $10k is worth going after, don't forget to include a claim for loss of use. You might want to get on social media and find out who else had their bikes/etc. stolen. With a few people, an attorney is more easy afforded.

Too bad and I don't fault you too much for not reading the fine print, I do it also. And it the dealer defense, it sucks for them also but seems like a shitty way to handle a customer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oopps sorry about that I was reading along another issue one guy had up here. I appreciate your response!

Yes I do have a copy of the waiver and No I didn’t have insurance on it. Definitely didn’t think it would get stolen at the actual dealership I think I’m going to just go ahead and sue Bc they even told me today that’s not the first time it happened. It happens 2 times a year as they say. so they’re aware of it happening again and again and isn’t doing nothing about extra security. So yeah I’m going forward with suing them. Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Oopps sorry about that I was reading along another issue one guy had up here. I appreciate your response!

Yes I do have a copy of the waiver and No I didn’t have insurance on it. Definitely didn’t think it would get stolen at the actual dealership I think I’m going to just go ahead and sue Bc they even told me today that’s not the first time it happened. It happens 2 times a year as they say. so they’re aware of it happening again and again and isn’t doing nothing about extra security. So yeah I’m going forward with suing them. Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it
The key is whether they gave you a copy of the work order with the waiver before this happened.

And don't jump too quickly to suing. It can get lengthy and expensive. Hopefully a letter from and attorney will make them re-think their handling of the matter.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I had paid for it to be serviced and they gave me a copy of the bill/waiver. But do that waiver stand up that strong in civil court? I just dont see it standing that strong only Bc it’s a waiver. It’s got to be some law above a waiver in this situation. I was thinking They should have some kinda insurance to cover it. I know for a fact they are the ones who stole it Bc I asked for the key to it and they gave me all kinds of stories to reasons why they should keep it unless “they” find it before I do lol wow!

Im going to talk to a lawyer about it and see what steps to take. At this moment I don’t care about the money. I want to fight back and show them I mean business and help others who went through it or go through it in the future with them. Someone has to end the cycle.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Wow,
What a crappy situation. This sounds like something that would happen to me with occasional bad luck LOL.

I agree with John's advice.

Lawyers serving them letters, and if it were me, I'd blast the hell out of this on social media!

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Lawyers serving them letters, and if it were me, I'd blast the hell out of this on social media!
If the dealer was not responding, I'd spread the word on social media also. You have to be careful about liable but if there have been previous thefts from the same dealer, plus their response to this one, I'd be spreading the word about what happened. Just the facts please.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
742 Posts
Waiver or not, they have a responsibility to provide a reasonable amount of security. Having two thefts a year is unreasonable IMO.

The key is your property. Demand that they return it and anything else of yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts