Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil and was wondering if we can level the bike with the rear stand in place so it’s perfectly level instead of having someone sit on it and guess? Reason I’m asking is I may have added a couple hundred to 300 ml extra but when on rear stand it’s right at the high level.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Just changed my oil and was wondering if we can level the bike with the rear stand in place so it’s perfectly level instead of having someone sit on it and guess? Reason I’m asking is I may have added a couple hundred to 300 ml extra but when on rear stand it’s right at the high level.
That's how I do it. It's much more consistent than holding it or having someone else trying to hold it level.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
I don't know about other versions, but my K6 750 will go from the full line on the ground to just about 1/2 down the window if it is on just the rear stand.

Otherwise, it is important to have the bike level in both directions.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. When on my stand it sits at the high level so even if it’s slightly higher on level I wouldn’t think it’s overfilled to the point to cause problems.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
What I usually do, is fill it between half, and full on the stand. Then when you drop it off the stand, it should be right at full. You will just need to figure out where that "right" spot is for you bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I usually do, is fill it between half, and full on the stand. Then when you drop it off the stand, it should be right at full. You will just need to figure out where that "right" spot is for you bike.
Thanks. It must be a little overfilled at this point but not enough to worry I’m hoping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not to keep posting on this but wouldn't it be better to use both a front and rear stand so the bike is sitting more level OR use no stands at all and just have someone hold the bike until the correct level is achieved?

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Yes, front and rear stands will result in the bike being pretty level in both directions.

The method I've used to check the oil has always been simple and easy. Bend down on the right side of the bike and watch the oil level window as you pull the bike up towards you. It is easy to feel when the bike is balanced upright. (front wheel straight). If the bike begins to get away from you, just push it back on the side stand.

The nice part is if the oil is just over the full mark, I can judge how far by watching the level come up.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Yes, front and rear stands will result in the bike being pretty level in both directions.

The method I've used to check the oil has always been simple and easy. Bend down on the right side of the bike and watch the oil level window as you pull the bike up towards you. It is easy to feel when the bike is balanced upright. (front wheel straight). If the bike begins to get away from you, just push it back on the side stand.

The nice part is if the oil is just over the full mark, I can judge how far by watching the level come up.
This is the way.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I agree with advise- as if anyone cares LOL.

On my Gix, I have also done it slightly different too.
When on the ground, both wheel bottoms are level, and not on the rear stand though.
With my front stand- they are not the same height off the ground either.
So, I got a board width of the rear wheel from the ground while on the rear stand.
Then, I use the front stand (wheel slightly higher up from ground) and put the board width under the front wheel, and lower the front stand so the front wheel is on the board/wood bloc.
So NOW, the wheels are level again, and the stand keeps it level from side to side.

It's a long explanation, and a really quick execution of the task.- takes a minute or so.

Reactions: Murphy27

·
Registered
2020 suzuki gsxr600
41 Posts
Buy a wheel chock from just about anywhere and pull the bike into the chock. It'll hold the bike perfectly upright for you to do most required maintenance. I bought mine from Amazon but Harbor Freight sells them also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts