Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gonna sound really dumb but i just bought some new grips for my bike and can't get the bar ends off...Is there a trick to this? I'm afraid i'm going to strip the screw if I keep going at this rate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
do you have a cordless screw gun? If you do hit it with that on a low clutch setting and when you get it far enough out put something behind it to pry the rubber out. make sure you use a #3 Phillips tip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ended up getting med-evil with it. I used my vise grips. unfortunately I need new bar ends but turns out the bar ends were covered with rust on the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
For future reference, try spraying some WD 40 or penetrating oil in to the screw and around the bar ends first. Normally you can then get the screw to back out enough so you can wiggle the rubber seat out. Of course clean them up real good before you reinstall them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
something that i always like to use on scxrew tips that i think are going to strip like carbs covers and such is a inpact screw driver you simply turn it and hit it with a hammer and it always does the trick no striping you can get them at sears or a tool store there a great tool to have you only use it for removing though not installing hope this helps next time and saves you a little cash

·
Registered
394 Posts
i second Tee. My bar ends wouldnt come out so i sprayed wd40 down the open end of the bar and let it sit for 30 seconds and gave a tug on the bar end and it came right out no problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am gonna jack this thread. The screw that held my left bar end on is bent. Anybody know is this a common screw i can get at my local dealer or will I need to order it? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
something that i always like to use on scxrew tips that i think are going to strip like carbs covers and such is a inpact screw driver you simply turn it and hit it with a hammer and it always does the trick no striping you can get them at sears or a tool store there a great tool to have you only use it for removing though not installing hope this helps next time and saves you a little cash
+1000 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts