Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What was the voltage of the battery once you got to your friend's house?

The simplest explanation is that it is simply not charging properly and you did not have enough voltage to restart. Need to rule that out first before diving into the starter motor.

Can you find something to display voltage while you're riding? That might show what and when the voltage drops, if it does.
Don’t have anything to check while I’m riding.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I also think "Turned on while running at 13.7v and moving up " might suggest the regulator has a bad earth, I'd expect the voltage to jump up immediately to over 14V, but then I am not familiar with this particular regulator MO, so maybe, maybe not.
Rectifier is hard wired in. I bought a new adapter that will make it click right in but is coming in the mail next week I think. So I can try and rule that out as well

· Administrator
12,444 Posts
The battery was replaced twice. Fully charged and tried it again.
did you hear that sound im talking about?
No, sounded normal to me.

I'm totally lost. It sounds like a bad battery to me in the first vid and it starts great after you fully charged the battery.

· Registered
1996 GSXR 750
44 Posts
Lots of comments and guesses from everyone. Regarding the charging function, the stator and the rectifier, all of these can be quickly and easily tested using a home voltmeter. The testing procedures and expected results are clearly described in the service manual. Have these tests been done yet? It seems to me that this should be the first thing to do when trouble-shooting this problem. If the stator and rectifier perform as per the service manual, and the battery voltage is within spec when not running, at idle, and at 5000 rpm (again as per the service manual), then the charging circuit is working fine. But until these tests are performed, and functionality confirmed, it's impossible to trouble shoot.

· Registered
1996 GSXR 750
44 Posts
Starter motor maybee?
DC motor 101. Commutator is mounted to the shaft, along with rotor windings. Two machine screws to remove to pull the rotor from the starter housing. Once apart, the rotor windings, brushes, and stator magnets can be inspected. The commutator should also be inspected and cleaned with a very fine emery paper to restore back to bare copper.
Cylinder Auto part Font Engineering Machine

Attachments

· Registered
1996 GSXR 750
44 Posts

View attachment 299875
This is exactly the problem I had on my old bike (96 GSXR 750). As mentioned above, after inspecting the starter internals and confirming the starter was in bad shape, I replaced it and the problem instantly disappeared. I purchased an aftermarket starter on Amazon for $90 Cdn.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts