Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 gsxr 750 I left the key in the ignition battery went dead i tried a recharge and the battery does not seem to hold the charge it holds at 2.5v on the meter is this enough even to have the front head lamp on because when i turn the key absolutely nothing happens could this be just not enough charge to make the guages move or could there be an underlying issue now. I hate to air this because it makes me look really dumb but i tried to recharge it first on my car with the engine running when i hook it to the car it will start and the guages move and everything but as soon as i take the jumper cables off it dies im hoping its just the battery not having enough charge to keep it running or even turn it on any feedback would be helpful here.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If its really dead you will need to trickle charge it over night. Once the bike is started, does it die without being hooked up to the car?

edit:

when mine died over winter, i took it out for a couple hour ride and it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its really dead you will need to trickle charge it over night. Once the bike is started, does it die without being hooked up to the car?

edit:

when mine died over winter, i took it out for a couple hour ride and it worked fine after that.
i tried to trickle charge it for about twelve hours and it never got above 4.5 volts and as soon as i took it off the car it went down to 2.3 volts or so almost instantly and yes as soon as you take it off the jumper cables of the car it dies instantly

·
Registered
136 Posts
The battery on my K6 1000 died and I was able to jump it with my car. Just leave the car running for a few minutes attached to the bike, start the bike. Leave both running for another minute, turn off the car, and leave the bike running. Go for a ride for a couple of hours, and your battery should be charged again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery on my K6 1000 died and I was able to jump it with my car. Just leave the car running for a few minutes attached to the bike, start the bike. Leave both running for another minute, turn off the car, and leave the bike running. Go for a ride for a couple of hours, and your battery should be charged again.
I did that the problem is as soon as i take the jumper cables off the bike dies immediately

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well if a trickle charger wont charge it then its pooched. Especially if the bike stator cant even keep the voltage up while its running... Try and charge it over 24h and see what happens. If it wont keep a charge out of the bike then time for a new battery.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you saying you tried to "trickle" charge it with your car? Even if there is another issue, it sounds like your battery is shit, wont take a charge. I would buy a new battery and start there. I did the same thing to my bike last summer. Left the key on and completely killed the battery, like your saying, headlight, gauges, nothing would work at all. Jump started the bike and rode arround for a while to charge it. Still useing the same battery about a year later.

It kinda sounds to me like its just your battery, but its hard to tell for sure. You could take the battery out of your car, set it next to the bike, take the battery out of your bike, hook the car battery up to the bike with jumper cables, see if the bike will start/run like that, then check your voltage and see if the bike is charging the battery, or just running off of it and not charging. Or just go buy a new battery to put in and check your voltages then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you saying you tried to "trickle" charge it with your car? Even if there is another issue, it sounds like your battery is shit, wont take a charge. I would buy a new battery and start there. I did the same thing to my bike last summer. Left the key on and completely killed the battery, like your saying, headlight, gauges, nothing would work at all. Jump started the bike and rode arround for a while to charge it. Still useing the same battery about a year later.

It kinda sounds to me like its just your battery, but its hard to tell for sure. You could take the battery out of your car, set it next to the bike, take the battery out of your bike, hook the car battery up to the bike with jumper cables, see if the bike will start/run like that, then check your voltage and see if the bike is charging the battery, or just running off of it and not charging. Or just go buy a new battery to put in and check your voltages then.
Yes i tried to trickle charge it for about 12hrs and it got up to about 4.5v and when i took it off went to 2.5v when i put the jumper cables on it it would start but as soon as i took them off it would die and I guess im spooked to do it the guy at the dealership said i could fry the whole electrical system by jumping it off the car while the car is running

·
Registered
894 Posts
the guy at the dealership said i could fry the whole electrical system by jumping it off the car while the car is running
Yes the car alternator cranks out a lot of juice and it could damage it. But not likely............but it could................

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes the car alternator cranks out a lot of juice and it could damage it. But not likely............but it could................
+1 to that. one of my friends found that one out the hard way. :infrandom

·
Registered
552 Posts
So you hooked your bike battery up to your car battery for 12 hrs? With the car off or on? If you did it with the car off the most you will get is about 6v in your bike battery and it would drain your car battery down to 6v too, it would basicly equal out both batteries with the available voltage, if you let it sit long enough. In order to charge a 12v battery you have to put in MORE than 12v, it will never charge higher than the input voltage. Most charging systems usually put out 13-14v to charge a 12v battery.

If Im missunderstanding you, and you trickle charged the battery with a REAL charger, for 12 hrs, and never got more thatn 4.5v, then Id say the battery is shit and you need a new one. If you tried charging the battery off your car battery, then you should either try getting a real charger, or just get a new battery for the bike. If you dont have a charger make sure you get a battery that already has electrolyte in it and is charged, some of the small batteries come dry and you have to pour the electrolyte in and charge them before you use them.
I dont see how jumping your bike with a car will hurt it, there both 12v systems. Just dont screw up the polarity or short the cables to your frame when you hook them up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with tro1086, use teh car battery out of the car without the bike battery connected. you have to check the voltage comming from your charging system. if you skip this and put a new battery you could be back where you started. its possible you dqamaged your charging system jumping it. start the bike rev it to 2500rpm the output of the charging system has to be >13.5volts, if it is rev it to 5000 then check the output, if its < 14.8volts its working perfectly. you can put in the new battery. if the output is <13.5volts you might have trouble with the rectifier or stator. somebody put a link to a fault finding chart by electrosport industries, its real handy for troubleshooting charging systems.:thumbup:

www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.