Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 gsxr 600. My battery is overcharging and reading 18+ v with it turned on. Battery is about 2 weeks old. Tested the rectifier and seems to be nothing wrong. Any other reason for my batteries to be boiling and overcharging? This is the 3rd battery in 6 months

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's a regulator/rectifier and your's doesn't seem to be regulating as 18+ volts is way too high. Have you tested the generator? Is yours the OEM R/R or aftermarket? Voltages like that could fry more than the battery. Does the R/R get hot?

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Welcome. There is only one reason for you to have 18+ volts at the battery and that is a bad R/R.

You might have done the tests but the R/R is definitely failing the voltage regulation part.

You need to replace it before you ride the bike anymore as that high voltage will eventually destroy the battery and right after that, fry the ECM. Sounds like you dodged the bullet this time.

Reactions: HydeWhyte

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a regulator/rectifier and your's doesn't seem to be regulating as 18+ volts is way too high. Have you tested the generator? Is yours the OEM R/R or aftermarket? Voltages like that could fry more than the battery. Does the R/R get hot?
No the regulator can’t be but so hot. It’s located on the subframe. It’s oem, I ordered a ricks rectifier but sent it back after I tested mine and it seemed to be working

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. There is only one reason for you to have 18+ volts at the battery and that is a bad R/R.

You might have done the tests but the R/R is definitely failing the voltage regulation part.

You need to replace it before you ride the bike anymore as that high voltage will eventually destroy the battery and right after that, fry the ECM. Sounds like you dodged the bullet this time.
that’s what I thought but tested the voltage on the regulator/ rectifier and it was reading correctly

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
@rv6john has 3 plugs , each reading around 5-6
That makes no sense. I'm guessing you mean the three wires going to the stator? My second guess is you are trying to read the stator AC voltages with the meter on the DC scale but who knows?

"Trust me" as the car salesman said, it is your R/R.

If you want to learn why, do some reading here: GSXR charging system 101

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@rv6john is there any other reason a battery would overcharge at idle? I followed a YouTube video testing the voltage on the rectifier and it seemed to be some consistency in each plug, meaning there’s nothing wrong with it. Or do you think I should just replace the R/R anyway?

·
Registered
582 Posts
First, there's more to testing a R/R than measuring its output voltage, specifically there are a bunch of measurements to be made with the meter in diode test mode. Next, there's a possibility of something like a short to ground in at the stator causes the R/R to go crazy. So it also needs to be fully checked. The most likely scenario is that the R/R has failed. But you need to check everything out, including the connectors, to be sure that they aren't the source of the problem and will just cause the next R/R to fail.

Also look at Fault Finding Guide and Diode Testing Guide here.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
@rv6john is there any other reason a battery would overcharge at idle? I followed a YouTube video testing the voltage on the rectifier and it seemed to be some consistency in each plug, meaning there’s nothing wrong with it. Or do you think I should just replace the R/R anyway?
Not to be repetitive but, YES, replace the R/R. That is the only one component (and there are only three) in the charging system that can cause a high voltage issue. I don't know how to put it any other way.

As a side note, the only R/Rs with high volt failures that I've seen online were from cheap Chinese Ebay R/Rs. All other R/Rs either just stop working or go out in a blaze of smoke and flame and usually blow the main fuse at the same time.

Otherwise, don't cheap out. Go with a Ricks or OEM R/R. Do make sure the connectors are tight and clean to avoid future problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts