Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know I had a pretty bad off at NJMP Lightning on 8/30 and my bike is badly beaten up. The tail was torn off and the Motoholders subframe broke which resulted in the battery and Bazzaz TC winding up off the bike.

The terminals are still screwed into the Battery anyone ever deal with this ? I’m assuming I can buy the ends or complete new leads from Suzuki but wanted to get inside information from a person who has Already done this. Let the games begin.

I can post pics if needed. I’m finally able to get back to work so I will take the bike out of the van this weekend. Or try to at least. It’s got a smashed front wheel and no front brakes….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I got nuth'n on the battery terminal thing,

But I'm glad you're 'on the mend'!

Reactions: Newyork

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got nuth'n on the battery terminal thing,

But I'm glad you're 'on the mend'!
You and me both my friend…God is good I healed up quickly and I’m feeling great!

·
Registered
783 Posts
So where's the break? Is the terminal torn up or is the wire broken? If you want the Suzuki style terminal and are prepared to do some soldering, search ebay for "33820 suzuki" or "33860 suzuki". Otherwise search for "motorcycle battery cable". Depending on engine size, Suzuki liked to use 6, 7, or 8 gauge wire. But I think the terminals were the same.

If you're just looking for some terminals, something like this or this ought to work.

This wouldn't be a bad time to install a quick disconnect. It might even pull apart in your next wreck.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So where's the break? Is the terminal torn up or is the wire broken? If you want the Suzuki style terminal and are prepared to do some soldering, search ebay for "33820 suzuki" or "33860 suzuki". Otherwise search for "motorcycle battery cable". Depending on engine size, Suzuki liked to use 6, 7, or 8 gauge wire. But I think the terminals were the same.

If you're just looking for some terminals, something like this or this ought to work.

This wouldn't be a bad time to install a quick disconnect. It might even pull apart in your next wreck.
I’m going to post a pic for you to see tomorrow morning when I get in the garage.

I know nothing of soldering so this may be a job for a friend it sounds like.

Thanks for checking into this too I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Peep the issue here. I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too bad to fix this but I am very optimistic always..

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,862 Posts
I'm guessing you're going to part this thing out anyway, right? Why bother with the cables.... If the front wheel is trashed then the fork might be too. I rode on a bent fork for 2 full seasons without knowing it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing you're going to part this thing out anyway, right? Why bother with the cables.... If the front wheel is trashed then the fork might be too. I rode on a bent fork for 2 full seasons without knowing it.
I’m actually plotting on keeping it and turning it back into a street bike. I’m going to rebuild it slowly as I find the time and then hope that the wife is in a good mood when she realizes I still have one bike in the garage. The front wheel isn’t as bad as I thought actually. I’m going to try have it fixed by one of those wheel services. It’s a magnesium wheel so it’s worth the shot.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I’m actually plotting on keeping it and turning it back into a street bike. I’m going to rebuild it slowly as I find the time and then hope that the wife is in a good mood when she realizes I still have one bike in the garage. The front wheel isn’t as bad as I thought actually. I’m going to try have it fixed by one of those wheel services. It’s a magnesium wheel so it’s worth the shot.

Those pics look like any easy fix to me, but then again, I've had to improvise stuff like this all my life!

Why not just buy a new wire? Does it not somehow come out of the wire harness?

And Yes, keep it and fix it!

Reactions: Newyork

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those pics look like any easy fix to me, but then again, I've had to improvise stuff like this all my life!

Why not just buy a new wire? Does it not somehow come out of the wire harness?

And Yes, keep it and fix it!
Yesssirrrr that is my master plan. I’ve put way too much time into this machine to part with it. The other two I can sell but not the gsxr.

Im definitely thinking about just replacing the complete wire as you suggested. I found them on eBay couple days ago real
Cheap. Prob the easiest way to go about this. Assuming the wires aren’t hard to get to.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Good luck with the rebuild. Please keep us posted with updates. As for the wire, nothing is too hard to get to if you take enough parts off the bike

Also, great news you’re feeling better after the off.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck with the rebuild. Please keep us posted with updates. As for the wire, nothing is too hard to get to if you take enough parts off the bike

Also, great news you’re feeling better after the off.
Thanks very much I appreciate that. I will definitely keep you’ll posted on the progress of the rebuild.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Suzuki terminals have two tangs that wrap around the cable and are soldered to it. It looks like one of the tangs on the positive terminal was torn off and is toast while the negative terminal looks like it could be bent back into place and resoldered. Alternately you could buy some new terminals or replace the whole cable. New terminals may make the most sense if you're going to add a quick disconnect as some cutting and reconnecting will likely be needed. The posts on the battery do not look good and may be unusable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Peep the issue here. I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too bad to fix this but I am very optimistic always..

Batteries may not be cheap, especially the Lithium ones but I don't think I would try to fix this one. May not be worth the explosion...

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Batteries may not be cheap, especially the Lithium ones but I don't think I would try to fix this one. May not be worth the explosion...
Yea you think this is trash now? Sucks big time bc it was new for this season….

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I get it it's almost a $200 battery but I don't think I would try to repair or reuse those posts. It would be worth asking Shorai if anything can be done.
I will certainly see what Shorai says. I anticipate them suggesting I buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is another reason why I love this forum and the sportbike community as a whole. I was planning to run that battery after bending the terminals back into place and wasn’t thinking much of it. Thank you all for taking the time to address my issue.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Shorai will tell you to replace the battery as they don't want the liability. It hurts to toss it but lithiums can catch fire if they short internally and burn your balls off. Only you can tell if the terminals are in good enough condition to bend and reuse. Pay really close attention to whether the damage extends into the case.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shorai will tell you to replace the battery as they don't want the liability. It hurts to toss it but lithiums can catch fire if they short internally and burn your balls off. Only you can tell if the terminals are in good enough condition to bend and reuse. Pay really close attention to whether the damage extends into the case.
Oh I was sure they would tell me to buy a new one as every time I have attempted something similar (Translogic just last year) they said buy a new one. I will inspect it thoroughly before I decide to use it or not. You think it would be ok to run as long as the damage doesn’t go passed bending them back?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts