Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 600 was definitely dropped at zero speed on its left side before we got it. One of the few things the seller admitted- he did it retrieving it from Dad's shed. The plastics damage wasn't that bad, just scrapes and a small crack in the main fairing by the headlight. That's a thing.
But when I look at the bike from the rear, I'm convinced that the entire seat assembly is twisted to the right. As if the left passenger peg assembly took the hit and got leverage on the rear subframe area. It does look as though that's a main reason for the peg bracket design.
It's not twisted a lot, but enough to drive an old carpenter crazy- you need to see straight lines in that line of work or you won't last a week.
My take is that the seat rails, as Suzuki calls them, are bent to the right. I've even thought about coming up with a lever sort of arrangment to twist it back. Not beyond the pale for someone who's jacked up whole room additions.
New rails are $700, and honestly the twist isn't really crippling the bike. And yes, it runs straight as an arrow at any speed, so I don't have much concern about larger damage, at least not for the use we're likely to put the bike.
Just floating it- anybody have this issue and did something about it?
GSXR rear fender.jpg

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
ON my previous Literbike #1.0- now sold, the impact the bike had taken on it's top and top/left side from hitting as tree at high speed in the position of a stoppie (front wheel down, top of bike going forward);
among other things, it had broken my rear subframe.

I got a used one off of ebay. I'm sure salvage places may have it too.
It's not bent that bad. Mine was actually broken from the impact from the top and top/left sides.

Up to you, but IMHO- I"d look for what you need on ebay, my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Yes, it does look twisted.

I would guess that if you loosened the bolts and cross braces between the rails and the pillion box on the back it would spring back. I doubt they are bent, just mis-aligned.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that, rv6john. I can picture enough slop in the holes to allow that. I will try that.
Then, it's on to EBay if it continues to annoy. I just have to think a lot of the ones for sale could well be bent too, if that is indeed what happened.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had replaced the rear subframe- #6 in that diagram.

When I would look from behind, the middle subfames- seatrails where still bent a little.
Wasn't much, buyer never noticed. It had all new plastics and an Ebay bas tank too!
I did obviously tell the buyer it was a different used tank and new farings (it looked awsome!), he never asked why, so I didn't tell him. I was prepared to even show him the after crash pictures- he never asked.

I fully suspect it is around the Madison Wi area now (where he lived), and is running just fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I set the bike up on the lift, tied it down plumb- I still have my beloved mahogany levels- and tried to set up datum points to really check. Like I was installing custom kitchen cabinets.
I went ahead and loosened the seat rail bolts and removed the passenger box. Not much change.
I retightened the seat rail bolts while holding pressure against the direction of twist. That got me some of it back but not enough.
Tightened back up, I stuck a five-foot piece of pipe through the passenger peg brackets and gave a couple of moderate yanks. Working solo, I sure didn't want to knock the bike off the lift, tiedowns or not.
That got me to about 60-70% of back to straight, as far as I can tell.
I used the (new) rear tire for my plumb start. That assumes the swingarm isn't bent, of course.
I would like to use the passenger peg mounts to get my datum points but given that the left side one appears a bit bent inwards, that won't work. Putting the level on top of the passenger seat box showed almost a 3/16" deviation from level at the end. Call it a fat eighth. That doesn't sound so good, but sighting from behind things do look noticeably better.
While I have it apart, I want to do a couple of other things, replacing a broken plastic tab, fixing up the sort of dinged-up turn signals, and like that.
When it's back together, I think it will be tolerable.
Not really a big deal and not a drama, but the sort of thing to do on a rainy lockdown day.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
NIce work

I'd like to see the pic of that long cheater/breaker bar in there!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I'd spare sensitive souls the sight of such a thing.
Once it's all put back together, I'm not so sure I gained much improvement and not as much as my early guess.
I can't picture the rear area of the frame bending from a minor tipover, and given the lack of major crash evidence, I still think that's all it was. But things are still definitely a bit askew.
Maybe when there's too much money in the bike slush fund I'll Ebay up another set of seat rails.
"Too much money" Yeah, right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts