Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gsxr 600 K6

I am in the process of getting a new fuel pump.

Inside is really not dirty but I just wanted to know to clean it and remove rust, what’s the best way of cleaning it out?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
How much rust are we talking about? A little surface rust is not a big factor, heavy rust would need attention.

You will have pretty good access to clean some of it with a wire brush once the pump is removed.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Two ways plus what John said. One get a hand full of bb’s and about a quart of kerosene or diesel block off all the openings and shake the shit out of it until you get the results you are happy with. Second take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it for you. Me I would go with the second, I hate the smell of kerosene, diesel, and JetA.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Light rust can be removed with something like Evapo-Rust. If it's heavier, put a pound of drywall screws in it, seal the openings with duct tape, wrap a blanket around it, and put it in a large clothes dryer (gas or electric power to heating coils disconnected) or a small cement mixer and let it spin for 30 minutes or so. The blanket should be big enough so that it spins without banging around. Wives are not fond of the dryer method.

Loose fine rust is going to end up in your fuel filter so you want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
After cleaning the tank I’ve heard of many guys throwing around some 2cycle oil in the tank, suppositly it coats the metal inside to help protect it from rusting in the future, it’s not terrible to run a little 2 stroke in any gas motor anyway to help lube the top of the motor/partially recondition seals and gaskets anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts