Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday and today I have been having problems keeping my 2004 GSXR 600 bike running. I hear the fuel pump prime every time I turn the key but won't start easily. Takes about 10 minutes sitting in idle until I can start riding. It first started as I was leaving my apartment in first gear and I let off the throttle and just cutoff. Then, today I was going about 45mph and it just cuts out and wouldnt start back up. I tried cycling on and off and didnt hear the fuel pump. Then, finally the fuel pump decides to prime and I can start back up. It would also cut-off at idle sitting at lights and took a few tries to finally get it back on. Not sure if it's the pump, regulator, injectors, or even a grounding issue.
In summary, it just cuts off while riding and coming up to lights and idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add I did have the the red light on the dash when riding and said "F1" I believe the light was blinking. The time it did cut off that light was not blinking or showing. It was only on for the first 5 minutes of me actually being able to ride. Like I said 10 minutes after it stopped blinking it cut off many times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What rpm is it idling at?

Can you put it in dealer mode and then ride until a code or codes pop up ?
It idles at around 800 I know I need to adjust that to around 1200-1300rpm. But cruising at 45mph and it cutting wouldnt be the idle issue I dont believe.
I could probably ride until the code pops up again.
And, it was also pretty interesting when I was leaving class last night after running into all the problems started up and ran with no issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It idles at around 800 I know I need to adjust that to around 1200-1300rpm. But cruising at 45mph and it cutting wouldnt be the idle issue I dont believe.
I could probably ride until the code pops up again.
And, it was also pretty interesting when I was leaving class last night after running into all the problems started up and ran with no issue.
The bike also doesn't bog out or sputter.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I’d be upping the idle first as that’s a free fix. Ride with the bike in dealer mode so you can catch any codes that pop up. Don’t use the key the turn the bike off as that clears the codes from the dash. The kill switch is your friend here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d be upping the idle first as that’s a free fix. Ride with the bike in dealer mode so you can catch any codes that pop up. Don’t use the key the turn the bike off as that clears the codes from the dash. The kill switch is your friend here.
Okay i'll have to find out how to put it in dealer mode first then it will give me the 'C' code correct?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Correct.

Once you find the right connector, a paper clip can be used to bridge 2 wires together.

Hopefully others with knowledge of your specific model will help out with the location of the connector.

I hard wired a switch to the connector on my bike so I could put it in dealer mode whenever I wanted to, but that’s probably overkill.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
I am gonna agree with both of you. Oz is right, turn the idle up to 1100 or so and get rid of that issue. It will be a screw on the left (clutch) side of the throttle bodies. Screwing clockwise to raise the rpm.

You are also right in that that isn't likely the only problem. I am thinking a side stand safety switch may be the issue - it has to be made for the bike to run. Inspect the side stand and make sure the pivot is lubricated and the stand is fully depressing the plunger on the safety switch. If it is not made the pump won't prime (I think...) and for sure the bike will shut off if that circuit opens. Also check clutch switch and kill switch are made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts