Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently bought a 2007 Gsxr 600 and it rides smooth. Only problem is that when coming to a stop, I down shift into 2nd and pull the clutch all the way in and hold to coast, it just dies. The engine just shuts off right away. The FI light is on and I bypassed the dealer plug and it shows that there is no fault or error. Any idea what could be causing this?

· Registered
5,882 Posts
Too low of an idle speed? Clutch not adjusted properly?
Another reason I always pop into N when coming to a stop.
I never sit there with the clutch in idling.

Reactions: VIzuki

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked online and had a buddy help me with the idle. It’s running ~1300rpm at idle. What I’m not sure is if there are two different screws for the idles or just the one. Clutch I’m not too sure about, I’ll check on it tomorrow.

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That idle speed is about right, but you could bump it up a bit and see if that fixes it. You set the idle speed with that pear shaped knob on the left side, do not adjust the slotted head adjustment screws.

If it continues to do it, and if you are in a safe place to wait 5 seconds, don't touch anything once it stalls and see if "CHEC" pops up in the temperature window in about 3 seconds. Let us know.

Just out of curiosity, why do you coast to a stop in 2nd, clutch in?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

· Registered
485 Posts
Hi, I have recently bought a 2007 Gsxr 600 and it rides smooth. Only problem is that when coming to a stop, I down shift into 2nd and pull the clutch all the way in and hold to coast, it just dies. The engine just shuts off right away. The FI light is on and I bypassed the dealer plug and it shows that there is no fault or error. Any idea what could be causing this?
Do that again selecting neutral. If it is OK, sounds like a dragging clutch to me?

When you select a gear from neutral, does it clonk in hard, or 'normally'.

There are other possibilities but I think we need to hear about different scenarios first, like stopping in different gears and neutral + not using the clutch at all, etc..

I recall hearing, a long time ago now, someone telling me how they could not understand why their car kept stalling when they braked, and after refitting the loose distributor lead, all was revealed!!

· Registered
48 Posts
I guess it is a vacuum leakage behind the throttle space
I'd guess the same.

I'd take off the tank and airbox. Check all the lines going to the airbox, the boots on the throttle bodies.

Inspect everything and give it a good clean. Check the plugs. See if the coils are seated properly. Di-electric grease all the electrical connectors.

Sync the throttle bodies might be a good idea while you're there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

· Registered
107 Posts
Before going through all the stripping down....

Does it do this when you pull up in any other gear or just second gear? Does it do it if you coast to a stop in neutral?

If it only does it in gear I'd first check your chain tension is correct and your clutch is adjusted properly.

· Registered
615 Posts
I'd guess the same.

I'd take off the tank and airbox. Check all the lines going to the airbox, the boots on the throttle bodies.

Inspect everything and give it a good clean. Check the plugs. See if the coils are seated properly. Di-electric grease all the electrical connectors.
I uses a carb cleaner spray to check for vacuum leaks. I spray on any suspicious places (throttle body rubber boots, vacuum pipes, throttle plate axis etc) and if revs goes up then leaks through this place.

Sync the throttle bodies might be a good idea while you're there.
Yet another good idea (y)

· Registered
485 Posts
Far too many suggestions at this stage.

What if you leave it in 6th gear and come to a stop on the clutch? What of 1st?

What if you knock it into neutral and use no clutch and stop?

Can you keep revving the engine gently as it comes to a stop in 2nd, does it keep running then, or stall still?

Basics first, the very basics, please.

Just not enough info from the OP to propose doing any tampering with the bike at all yet.

· Registered
107 Posts
Far too many suggestions at this stage.

What if you leave it in 6th gear and come to a stop on the clutch? What of 1st?

What if you knock it into neutral and use no clutch and stop?

Can you keep revving the engine gently as it comes to a stop in 2nd, does it keep running then, or stall still?

Basics first, the very basics, please.

Just not enough info from the OP to propose doing any tampering with the bike at all yet.
Indeed!

Seems like our American counterparts are only too eagar to start stripping stuff down and replacing parts without a full diagnosis :rolleyes:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, sorry for the late reply, it’s been cold and I haven’t been able to test ride. I had the bike on a tender for the past couple of days. Today was warm enough to test out the bike and it didn’t seem to kill the engine in any gear. Rode to 3rd and held the clutch in to a stop and it didn’t die. Held it in 2nd where it would originally die and nothing. Neutral and first gear the same thing. I haven’t changed anything on the bike but keeping it on a tender. Would the charge of the battery have anything to do with this issue? Thanks!

· Registered
107 Posts
Fuel injected bikes rely much more on battery voltage that carbed bikes. If your battery hasn't been charging properly and the voltage drops it will cause the injectors to close. Applying revs will cause the charge output to rise, releasing the throttle will cause the charge to drop.

In light of this, it could be down to a failing battery or a charging system fault, whether that be a simple bad connection or the reg/rec or stator on its way out.

· Registered
96 Posts
What are you idling at. Also what code are you getting in dealer mode. You still get a code even if there’s no code. There’s a throttle position icon. When you give it throttle the 00— line should be 00__ if with no throttle that line is 00(and on top of 0 line ) your TPS needs calibration.
there’s always a code even with no codes.

· Registered
96 Posts
What are you idling at. Also what code are you getting in dealer mode. You still get a code even if there’s no code. There’s a throttle position icon. When you give it throttle the 00— line should be 00__ if with no throttle that line is 00(and on top of 0 line ) your TPS needs calibration.
Needs to be 00 —

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, when it happened I had a -C00 and the line was at the top of the C. But now when I do it it doesn’t show up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fuel injected bikes rely much more on battery voltage that carbed bikes. If your battery hasn't been charging properly and the voltage drops it will cause the injectors to close. Applying revs will cause the charge output to rise, releasing the throttle will cause the charge to drop.

In light of this, it could be down to a failing battery or a charging system fault, whether that be a simple bad connection or the reg/rec or stator on its way out.
Hi, would you happen to know the voltage of the battery when it’s at idle and when it’s at a higher rpm? I have not been able to find one online.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts