Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at a stand still what what this problem could be so maybe you guys can help me out or mention something I may have over looked.

The bike is an 03 GSXR 600 and the problem Im trying to solve is a quick drop in RPM's when riding over a bump in the road. Im not talking about speed bump side just something that you can feel like change in road surface or the small difference in road hight when your going onto a bridge. Something you can notice while driving but otherwise would never even pay attention to as far as a road hazard. It's almost like the ignition kills itself for a split second and then turns right back on, maybe 1/2 to 1 full second tops but under a decent acceleration its becoming very annoying. It would be very similar to riding and letting go of the throttle and grabbing it back real quick

My first through was the kickstand was loose and when hitting the bump it was falling enough for the kill switch to activate momentarily before closing back up. Highly doubt this is the problem because the springs are very stiff and the kickstand is not lose at all.

Next I though it could be something with the fuel filter or pump. All wires and hoses are in place and not loose at all, no leaking fuel and the bike primes strong, so im ruling out air in the fuel line.

What am i over looking? The bike starts, idles, runs strong and only has 5 k miles on it. I am very tedious about maintenance and keeping the bike clean, no water was ever sprayed on the bike to clean it so cross off a short wire from a hose or something like that. Its been doing this for a few weeks now and im running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
exactly the reason i dont modify anything

Im at a stand still what what this problem could be so maybe you guys can help me out or mention something I may have over looked.

The bike is an 03 GSXR 600 and the problem Im trying to solve is a quick drop in RPM's when riding over a bump in the road. Im not talking about speed bump side just something that you can feel like change in road surface or the small difference in road hight when your going onto a bridge. Something you can notice while driving but otherwise would never even pay attention to as far as a road hazard. It's almost like the ignition kills itself for a split second and then turns right back on, maybe 1/2 to 1 full second tops but under a decent acceleration its becoming very annoying. It would be very similar to riding and letting go of the throttle and grabbing it back real quick

My first through was the kickstand was loose and when hitting the bump it was falling enough for the kill switch to activate momentarily before closing back up. Highly doubt this is the problem because the springs are very stiff and the kickstand is not lose at all.

Next I though it could be something with the fuel filter or pump. All wires and hoses are in place and not loose at all, no leaking fuel and the bike primes strong, so im ruling out air in the fuel line.

What am i over looking? The bike starts, idles, runs strong and only has 5 k miles on it. I am very tedious about maintenance and keeping the bike clean, no water was ever sprayed on the bike to clean it so cross off a short wire from a hose or something like that. Its been doing this for a few weeks now and im running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
leave well enough alone cosmetic ok new yoshi exhaust simple things fine engine wise let it be now its a crap shoot as to what it could be compression needs to be ckd fuel pump itself and most likely a list of others

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
When I read the title and the 1st few seconds of this post I thought it was gonna be a noob whos wrist was twisting a lil bit on the bumps and throttle closing a bit and they didnt notice it. Happened to a friend of mine when he started riding, now believing that isnt the case Ill ask some questions, lol.

How big of an RPM drop? Always in the same gear when it happens or doesnt matter what gear?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leave well enough alone cosmetic ok new yoshi exhaust simple things fine engine wise let it be now its a crap shoot as to what it could be compression needs to be ckd fuel pump itself and most likely a list of others
Im not really sure what your saying here? New exhaust...

When I read the title and the 1st few seconds of this post I thought it was gonna be a noob whos wrist was twisting a lil bit on the bumps and throttle closing a bit and they didn't notice it. Happened to a friend of mine when he started riding, now believing that isn't the case Ill ask some questions, lol.

How big of an RPM drop? Always in the same gear when it happens or doesnt matter what gear?
Thanks and yes honestly i though the same thing when i was riding but i assure you that I have been riding long enough to know its not rider error. The amount of rpm's dropped is hard to tell because its quick enough that the needle doesn't fall on the cluster. Its almost like the bike bucks, there is another thread with a guy having the same problem on his 03 1000.

I think its an issue with the fuel pump, the pump itself is an aftermarket walbro pump that is about 3/4 in shorter than the stock pump. If anyone here has ever taken the pump apart on their bike you know that its a bottom feed with a screen filter on the bottom side. the aftermarket hac the screen built in and does not clip into the stock mounts. A clamp needs to be put around the clamp and bracket to hold it to the top and leave space for the fuel pick up on the bottom. The portion on the top that the pump slides on to and seals with to pressurize is where i think the issue lies. Im thinking the pump slid down after hitting a pot hole earlier this year and its sitting right on the edge of the seal. Normal idle and riding wont move it but hitting a bump i think is causing the gap to open and the fuel pressure to drop for a split second causing the bike to miss.

If thats not it im fucking stumped...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!

the top of my battery had a crack in it right next to the negative terminal causing it to spin. swapped the battery out of my 1000 and took it for a 10 mile ride and it didnt buck or cut out once. This was one of the first things i checked and when tightening the negative it stays.... until you pull on the cable. then the crack widens and screw lifts enough to kill the bike.

Thanks you to those that helped out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.