Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i bought an '04 Gsx-R 1000 this spring, it seems to run pretty well but I'm having an issue that i cant seem to put my finger on. The bike will fire up and run smooth but after anywhere between 4-10 miles, it'll backfire and sputter a couple times and shut off. The FI light comes on and the display reads "CHEC" where the temp is normally displayed but when i check the codes, every time i get C00. if i wait a couple minutes, the bike will start back up and run fine for a couple more miles and then repeat the process. The longer i wait, the further i can ride before having another issue. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
so, i bought an '04 Gsx-R 1000 this spring, it seems to run pretty well but I'm having an issue that i cant seem to put my finger on. The bike will fire up and run smooth but after anywhere between 4-10 miles, it'll backfire and sputter a couple times and shut off. The FI light comes on and the display reads "CHEC" where the temp is normally displayed but when i check the codes, every time i get C00. if i wait a couple minutes, the bike will start back up and run fine for a couple more miles and then repeat the process. The longer i wait, the further i can ride before having another issue. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

I moved this to tech and performance chat. No infractions this time. Its a freebie.

Do you check codes before or after you turn off the key? Im wondering if you are having fuel system blockage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for moving it for me. I have tried both. normally i try to check them before cycling the key. Outside temperature seems to make a difference as well. If i ride at night (40-45 degrees this time of year) i don't have a problem as far as i know. 60 degree day seems like i can make it further than a 75 degree day. i suppose it could all be in my head but I'm thinking not.

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
Thanks for moving it for me. I have tried both. normally i try to check them before cycling the key. Outside temperature seems to make a difference as well. If i ride at night (40-45 degrees this time of year) i don't have a problem as far as i know. 60 degree day seems like i can make it further than a 75 degree day. i suppose it could all be in my head but I'm thinking not.

Have you backflushed the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sounds like the ECM to me. You said it's fine at first, but then dies and displays "check". That's displayed when the ECM signal doesn't get to the dash. The ECM is just a solid state computer. What it sounds like to me is that it's slowly heating up, and then crashing. Then you shut it down, let it cool and it's fine until it gets hot again.

I could be wrong though. It could be the wiring too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you might be right about the ECM but a connection issue, I pulled off the tank and pulled the fuel pump last night, cleaned everything up, while putting it all back together I noticed a taped wire at the ECM... the ECM ground was duct taped together, not twisted, no butt connector... I'll be throwing it all back together in a couple hours and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like I was wrong... the problem is still happening. Back to square one? I don't think it's fuel delivery because if that was the case I don't think "CHEC" would be displayed on the cluster. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,567 Posts
As Chuckster said, the cluster will show "CHEC" after not receiving data from the ECM for 3 seconds.

I would go to the simpler stuff first such as the sidestand safety switch, sidestand relay or the kill switch itself. If any of those open, power to the ECM will be cut and you will get the same symptoms.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you've got taped wires, that's a problem. You need to figure out what's going on there, fix it, then see if the problem persists.

When it dies and you go to restart it, does the pump prime? If it doesn't, that means your ECU is no longer communicating and you may have a dead ECU if it's not related to jacked up wiring. If it is priming, it may not be the ECU and could be something as simple as the kickstand switch or killswitch having issues. Another thing to check is to see if your stator cover has an OEM gasket. If it doesn't, it could be binding as it heats up until it dies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pretty interested in this thread as I have a similar problem. Bike cutting out when (ECU)hot. But in your case, check the simple things first. Like rv6john mentioned, check the side stand switch. Mine was bad. The bike would cut out randomly. Found 2 broken solder joints inside the switch. Also make sure the side stand is being pulled up tight by the springs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have checked and eliminated the kickstand switch and the kill switch as being the problem, I properly fixed the ground wire that I found taped together, tomorrow I'll be tearing into it once again to see what I can find. Thanks for all the good info guys! I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

·
Premium Member
8,567 Posts
Don't forget about the sidestand relay. I don't remember when I saw a post about one failing, but it is an electrical solenoid that works every time the ignition is on/off even with the side stand switch bypassed.

From your first post, it sure sounds like an electrical component heating and failing. Because it is so consistent over time, I would not lean towards a bad ground. However, grounds are easy to check and eliminate as a potential source.

The crankshaft position sensor is another component that seems to fail when hot then come back to life as it cools. Some do not throw a code either. I don't think this is the likely problem as you are getting the "CHEC" display and the CKP should not cause that.

One other area to check is the big plug that connects all the nose electrics to the main harness. I'm pretty sure the right controls pass through this plug. It is a known area for corrosion and bad contacts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled out the sidestand relay and popped it apart, i didn't go through the process of checking the diode and all of that, it smelled a little more "burnt" than a regular relay so i had one overnighted, it should be here today.

After digging into it a bit further, i did find that one of the plugs that connects the nose electrics seemed to be a bit loose and once upon a time someone pulled the mounting clips out of the frame and when it got put back together, it looks like something might have pinched a wire at the plug. It was questionable so i repaired it and remounted everything the correct way. As far as the plug connections, they were clean and tight except the one that i clipped in.

I'll take it for a ride this afternoon and see how it does.

As far as the crankshaft position sensor, would the air temp make a difference with that one? it seems that i can ride just fine when its cold outside without issues. (below 55F)

·
Premium Member
8,567 Posts
Still happening!
Outline what you have done/checked so far.

Have you checked the connectors at the ECM itself? Any corroded or bent pins?

I hate to say it, but it might very well be the ECM. Is there any chance you know someone with a 2003 or 2004 1k that you can swap with for testing?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts