Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I can't figure out what's going on. Here's my story.

Last week my battery was dead after getting home from a ride.. I jumped it and it let it run for a bit, then tried to turn it and it was dead. I figured it was just the battery, so i replaced it.

I charged the battery, now I am driving, the cluster on the bike will go out, then as soon as i let off the trottle (to turn around and try and make it home :) ) the whole bike cuts out, and the battery is completely drained when I put it on the charger.

I've replaced the battery and magneto to no avail.. What else can it be? Voltage regulator??

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
552 Posts
If youv replaced the the battery and the stator then Id say your down to the rectifier. Unless you have a short somewhere that is bad enough to drain the batter but not bad enough to blow fuses or burn things up. I would do a visual inspection, fairings off, and see if anything looks out of the ordinairy. Then I would probably replace the rectifier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, just had the same problem with my wife's bike which is not a gixxer but exact same problem. I worked the opposite way, started with the regulator which changed nothing then went to the stator and found the magnets broke off the flywheel and there was nothing but shavings in the casing. So it has to be either stator or regulator. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
process of elimination. ur about half way there. it would have to be one hella short to do that. something in the charging system is bad..rectifier my guess

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That year model was bad about frying the connection between the rectifier and the stator. There are two plugins in that curcuit. Before replacing anything, I would use an ohmeter to check the connections. You can also check the stator and rectifier this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.