Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed the coolant a month or so ago, and my bike was running fine. now all the sudden its back running hot again, and much worse this time. ill be riding through town and the bike climb to 215 after riding for a little bit. i ran it for a while then brought it home the other day and let it idle and it was reaching 239 with the fan running. i turned it off to be safe. im wondering if its air still caught in the cooling system. what i assume is the bleeder valve bolt on the water pump is nearly stripped from me trying to get it off. is there another way to do this?

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
reburp the system. after it cools down...like Mr D said, rock it back and forth left to right as far as you can with out dropping the bike obviously, while the bike is idling. also bleed air out from the thermostat housing on the back of the block "you will see a bleeder bolt on the housing", after shutting it off and it cools down...rinse and repeat till its good to go. if it still will not stop over heating check to make sure the radiator fins are clean.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very nice. i shook the crap out of it when i changed the fluid. now im going to try tilting it while its idling. thanks guys

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
reburp the system. after it cools down...like Mr D said, rock it back and forth left to right as far as you can with out dropping the bike obviously, while the bike is idling. also bleed air out from the thermostat housing on the back of the block "you will see a bleeder bolt on the housing", after shutting it off and it cools down...rinse and repeat till its good to go. if it still will not stop over heating check to make sure the radiator fins are clean.
^^
Also check it when it has cooled down Im betting you need to add some coolant. I just did mine and shook it side to side burped it. Thought I had all the air out went for a ride up ACH to Wright Wood and back as long as I was moving it was fine but when I stopped the temp would clime like a rocket. When I got home I pulled off the RT fairing and checked and had to add like a pint or more of coolant. Burped it and now fan comes on at 220 and is off at 212 then it starts the cycle all over when it is stopped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
coolant level is at the top, same as reservoir. ive noticed that my bike is climbing when its moving. ill come to a stop, bike will climb to around 210 then i start moving in traffic and it will go up to 215 until it starts SLOWLY coming down. then i dont see it get lower than 203 as long as im going 40 - 50mph in like 3rd gear. if i shift up to 6th and let it coast it will drop to around 197 in traffic. just doesnt seem right. my boys 08 gsxr 750 will immediately drop back down to the 190s when hes moving no matter where hes at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would just install a toggle switch bro i have an 01 1000 and it runs at that temp so all i did was install a nice toggle switch so the fan is running at all times....when the motor reachs a certain temp the fan will kick on.....why not just rip with the fan always on.....yes it will burn the fan out faster but im running 185 tops good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey I have an 06 750 and i drove about 40 miles to Savannah Ga and in the city it reached to 232 , when I got back on 95 south it went back down to 185 temp outside was 98 and heat index was 104 didn't think to much about except to buy an aftermarket fan bypass switch

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
coolant level is at the top, same as reservoir. ive noticed that my bike is climbing when its moving. ill come to a stop, bike will climb to around 210 then i start moving in traffic and it will go up to 215 until it starts SLOWLY coming down. then i dont see it get lower than 203 as long as im going 40 - 50mph in like 3rd gear. if i shift up to 6th and let it coast it will drop to around 197 in traffic. just doesnt seem right. my boys 08 gsxr 750 will immediately drop back down to the 190s when hes moving no matter where hes at.
Then I would say the thermostat is stuck or you still have an air pocket in your system if it didn't do it before you changed the coolant.
Your right about the fan switch covers up the real problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was running that hot before i changed the coolant. now it seems to be a little hotter. ive tilted the bike over while idling and all that it the coolant is still at the top. cant find that bleeder valve tho lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
You could check the seal in your radiator cap, if it has a shitty seal and the system cant build preasure it wont cool as good. As far as rocking the bike back and forth, when you say its still full do you mean the radiator or the overflow tank? Check the radiator after you rock it and see if you gain any more room for coolant. After that it sounds like your down to thermostat or posibly water pump

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
rock the shit out of it and make sure it's fully burped!! air pockets are a bitch!! if not look @ the thermostat or possibly water pump.

i also know plp with 1000's and busa's who wire a 2nd fan or put a switch on..But TX gets Hott as a mufo!

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
it was running that hot before i changed the coolant. now it seems to be a little hotter. ive tilted the bike over while idling and all that it the coolant is still at the top. cant find that bleeder valve tho lol
go to the tech section, find the service manual for your bike and down load it...:thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
no. only distilled water. i followed the walk-through to a T. and yes both the radiator and the reservoir are full.
Are you just running straight water? Or 50/50 mix? Most the stuff I see for bikes already comes mixed and you dont have to dilute it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.