Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new here and also to suzuki. I have wanted a gsxr forever finally sold my cbr 600 amd got a 05 gsxr 750. When I bought it kid said its been sitting around since last season and needed a tune up so i grabbed it. After getting it home and tweaking a bit on it I could tell its been sitting longer then that! But I did coil, plugs, drained the gas, new air filter the basic shit. It sounds better but still cits around 5500 rpms. Idling and up to 5500 it sounds normal amd great but once it hits 5500k it almost sounds like it has a 2 step on it. It has a full yoshi pipe and it also backfires slightly but its got some cam 2 in it right now I figured I should run something a lil higher in it just to clean it out. I'm newer to these kinda bikes and would appreciate any kind of suggestions or help. My buddy that knows some stuff about them just came by and he heard it amd was baffled to becaise it sounds fine just not at 5500k? He said maybe I have to get the ecu reflashed or its something to do with the ecu. If anyone has any feed back just let me know or if you have more questions ask away. Appreciate it everyone hope someone in here can give me something useful

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Welcome.

The most common issue with that age bike, and also that it has been sitting, are clogged fuel filters.

There are two on the fuel pump. A low pressure "tea bag" type filter that is easy to clean, if it is in good enough condition, and not too expensive to replace. The second filter is in a plastic housing next to the fuel pump and it is expensive. Most have had good success with gently back flushing it.

It's a good idea to do a fuel pressure and flow check when you are done as a mis-installed o-ring can also cause problems.

There could be other issues, but I would start by making sure you are getting a good fuel supply first.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I actually have a filter looks kinda like a strainer have to get that in Tom and see how it looks and if it'll help. I know it probably sounds dumb I just dint know alot about this stuff get but is there actually a way to check the fuel pressure or delivery or its kinda just keep picking at it until ya get it? I appreciate the help and info thanks fir the warm welcome

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
There are TWO filters, the high pressure one in the plastic housing (#2) is the one that is usually missed..

Yes, The procedure to test the fuel pressure and flow is in the service manual. The best way is to do the testing before you take things apart so you know what issue to look for but a lot of people just take it apart, swap parts and hope for the best.

A fuel pressure gauge set up is available from Harbor Freight for about $20 or you can borrow/rent one at most auto parts stores.

You want to test it after it's back together as any nicks or damage to the o-rings will cause low pressure and flow. And it could still be a weak pump or bad pressure bypass valve. BTW, the old o-rings are usually hard and brittle. Best to get new.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know it had 2 filters the parts store yesterday told me that when I was up there. I'm just going to have to start with the fuel pressure and go from there. I appreciate it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Chuckster
@billv
I've heard of this problem with this generation of the 600/750 but don't know that I ever heard of the fix.
Its driving me fucking nuts, my boy swears its something with the ecu or it needs a tune. Im getting a whole other parts bike today for back up so I can try and swap em out to see if it makes a dif. Im getting a fuel pressure gauge after to so I can see how all thats working

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,817 Posts
Is the bike throwing any codes?

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,817 Posts
That might be helpful.

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,817 Posts
There might be other threads on it in this forum. This is one of many vids YouTube has on it. Be aware, the codes reset when the bike is off.

·
Registered
605 Posts
"once it's above the 5500 mark it sounds like it gets back to normal"
Is that being done under load or you're just revving it in the garage? Doing it under load is essential with regard to fuel filter clogging.

Get a real dealer mode switch. It's like $20.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
We had one other person come on and talk about something similar. I don't think we ever found a solution. That person had a problem around 4500 but once they got up to 6k, everything was fine. Basically it struggled up to 6, then "came to life". I think we threw everything at it we could think of. Crank sensor, cam sensor, checked cam timing, bypassed the kickstand switch, etc.

Then again, now that I'm typing all this out, I think it did end up being the crank sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"once it's above the 5500 mark it sounds like it gets back to normal"
Is that being done under load or you're just revving it in the garage? Doing it under load is essential with regard to fuel filter clogging.

Get a real dealer mode switch. It's like $20.
Is that what its actually called dealer mode switch?? I just had it running my fi light came on for a second and went away. I had it in dealer mode right after that and came up with the c00 so idk. And its in the garage dont wanna take it out until I know it'll be straight. I just found a shop out here where I can get it tuned on the dyno and I need that regardless so ima do that this week if I can get in. I just dont know alot bout tuese yet amd dont have rly anyone that does so any help will help. I got a vidoe of it I just took but cant figure out how to attach it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had one other person come on and talk about something similar. I don't think we ever found a solution. That person had a problem around 4500 but once they got up to 6k, everything was fine. Basically it struggled up to 6, then "came to life". I think we threw everything at it we could think of. Crank sensor, cam sensor, checked cam timing, bypassed the kickstand switch, etc.

Then again, now that I'm typing all this out, I think it did end up being the crank sensor.
Lol well I'll have to check into it I just wish there was ways of telling wtf it actually is before just replacing everything lol amd mines fine till 5 k 55k and sounds like a 2 step there but if I got above sounds ok

1 - 20 of 26 Posts