Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this problem since I bought it. It seems after hard riding, or even after cruisin for a little while, that the bike completely dies down. I mean, it feel/sounds/rides like it's eatin shit on me. It starts to bog down, major power loss, and eventually dies completey. On top of that, it won't restart for about 10-15 minutes after I let it sit. What in the world would cause this kind of behavior? I just doin't get it anymore? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
1st thing that comes to my mind is rust in tank. also you might want to clean your carbs and go thru your fuel system. Does this happen when its as full and since you said after a while of riding then it happens which has me thinking as your tank get low on fuel its has more trash than fuel. Just my 1st though without actually getting anymore details.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
audi1031 said:
1st thing that comes to my mind is rust in tank. also you might want to clean your carbs and go thru your fuel system. Does this happen when its as full and since you said after a while of riding then it happens which has me thinking as your tank get low on fuel its has more trash than fuel. Just my 1st though without actually getting anymore details.
Thats exactly what it sounds like to me, could be either one. I've had the rusted tank problem and a buddy had the carb problem. What year/model bike you got?

·
Registered
331 Posts
My friend has a 1998 GSXR 600 and had the same problem. When the bike got hot or warm then it shut off and would not crank until it cooled off. So, after being in the local bike shop for about 3 weeks of looking, checked computer fuel filter & pump, tank, valves changed plugs & air filter, and finally came up with this diagniosis a dead cylinder. They said it would cost $2000 to rebuild motor, so they are in the process of looking for a wrecked bike now to just replace the motor. I hope this is not your problem, but we had the same symptoms ur having.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I think he has a 1988 GSXR bike oil cooled and i can't remember if that thing is gravity feed or it has a pump on it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sounds like a VERY common problem I run across with the SRADs, with the fuel pump not pumping addequately, but not sure wiht an 88 if it has a pump..... odnt think so. If it doesnt sounds like carbs. More specifically the float height.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
If its an 88 then it doesn't have a pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late responses, I've been busy as hell. I've removed and emptied the tank before and it looked rusted as hell inside. How would you get all that out? I just rinsed it but I knew it wouldn't cure it. It is and 1988 GSXR-750, no pump on this classic guys! The guy I bought it from said it needed to be re-jetted, but he's a dumba$$. What's the best way to get all the rust out of the fuel tank? Thanks again in advance. I'm listening to everyone's ideas and tryin all of them!

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
They have this stuff called KREEM to put in there to basically coat the tank,but what i did was cleaned my tank stuff my hand in as far as i could to get all the loose debri out and then i used kero sene to clean it sloshing it around alot(with cap on) then drained cleaned again with water same treatment then gased it up and was done. You could buy a tank on ebay but may have same thing. Your gonna need to clean your carbs as well now since ya found rust imagine what at the bottom of your carb bowls :lol: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
glad that you found your problem,or part of it. You also need to change your filter, its probabblly blocked up with rust, after all that run some cleaner through just to make sure you get everything out of the lines, etc..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna try what you said to clean it Audi. Thanks a bundle guys, it's a big help. I'll keep you posted when I get it done and if it cures the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
all air cooled 87-92 GSXR's eventually have this problem. first they start cutting off when hot, then fuses blow then after going through all the trouble shooting you find out its the COILS!....lol. I've had 6 air cooled monsters, the experience is priceless....lol. good luck bro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.