Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the super bikes but i am a very prowd owner of my 02 GSXR 750. can anyone tell me why it will start and idle fine then within a min it will start to make a strange clickin sound coming from engine then it starts to idle roughly then if i try to give it any throttle response it instantly shuts off.. Thanks hope to get back on the rd .. Be safe everyone

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
Welcome.

First, I'm not familiar with the cold start fast idle system on that year bike but that is about the time period (30 seconds) that most actuate before dropping to normal idle speed.

Does the bike start up quickly again after this happens? Can you hold the throttle open to keep it running and warm it up? If so, what is the warm idle speed?

As far as the strange clicking sound, does it go away when the bike warms up?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
The '01 and '02 do not have an "automatic" cold idle speed. They still have an enrichener lever on the left handlebar. Are you using it? Just to ask it again, will it start again after dying? How long have you had this bike? Is this a new problem?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Welcome and,

Did it always to this? Did you just get the bike? Did you test drive it?
Are you using the enrichment lever like the Spider mentions? (Good call btw)

Could you give us a little more info like that? Does it run OK anyways, or won't run at all?
Has the bike been sitting for long (months to years) periods of time?

Was it running fine when you just got it?

Enquiring minds want to know! LOL

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
Registered
413 Posts
+1 Download a service manual if you haven't already. One of the sections ought to be titled something like Fl SYSTEM/INTAKE AIR SYSTEM/EXHAUST SYSTEM. Find the fuel pump flow rate test procedure and perform it.

"will start to make a strange clickin sound coming from engine"
Can you tell where it's coming from?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Could be another 'one post wonder'

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Or maybe discovered he wasn't using the enrichener, and just hasn't come back to say it's working now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be another 'one post wonder'

:unsure:
Im sorry for the time i stepped away i went almost a week with no internet at home i apoligise to everyone. Especially seeing that yall are all here yo help one another .. Its a brotherhood i love just want to say thanks to all of you guys on 2 wheels !!.. Ok i have no lever on my left handkebar besides my clutch ... And it doesn't want to start after it shuts off when the 20 seconds has passed .. The clicking noise comes from around the manifold . ( sounds like a horrible spark knock.) After reading these post my bike doesn't have the valve in the exhaust i assume its been done away with. ???? I have rode the bike since may with no problems what so ever till now. I called the original owner and he claims this is a issue he never had while he owned it for over 10 years.. Sorry i tried my best to answer all i coylr before mt daughter puts her mommys tooth brush in my dogs rear end :eek::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
I'm assuming from your post that you are saying that after it stalls, the starter will crank the bike but it will not run.

Try spraying some starting fluid in the throttle bodies and see if it fires up for a bit. If it does, it will at least pin it down to a fueling issue.

The clicking sound around the exhaust manifold when cold is likely a bad gasket or loose manifold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will run if i mess with throttle to keep it running and detinitley aint exhaust leak totally top end rattle like a severe spark knock

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
rattle like a loose cam chain? Do you see a spark?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
It's starting to sound like you may have jumped time on one of the cams. Tensioner could have gone bad, or even just got stuck? Couldn't hurt to pull the valve cover to check it. While your in there you could check your valve clearance. Likely long over due.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
So you are a man of few words besides the toothbrush story. :ROFLMAO:

So now the bike will start and you can keep it running with the throttle. Can you warm it up? How does it run if you do get it warm? Can you ride it? How does it run when you ride it?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Possibly. It's hard to tell. Seems the OP is pretty inexperienced, so it's hard to tell what's really happening. The clicking could be anything.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank? When did you last put fuel in? Could it be water in the fuel?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts