Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all if your reading this.

Occasionally, but not every time I let the clutch out at/from a take off (starting off, lights, etc.)- I get this sort of Squeal, funny sound and feeling. It's not smooth and sometimes even causes me to stall it when taking off. I've been riding for years, it's not me. I have to Reva little higher and let it out much slower to keep it from happening.
* Other times- like 1/2- it doesn't do this and the clutch disengagement is smooth as silk- the way it should be 100% of the time.

I normally only use the clutch when taking off. Not on 1st to 2nd, 2nd the 3rd, 3rd to 4th, ...etc.
I usually use it when downshifting.

Even under heavy acceleration, or the occasional 3rd gear clutch up wheelie- THE CLUTCH NEVER SLIPS! As is worn plates, poor adjustment, etc. Never.
It's not the adjustment either. I 2 finger the clutch lever when I need to use it. The adjustment is fine, and I know how to fix that if it's not.

There is this good Post about this I have seen and read.
I have read thru this sticky I've read 'over there':

It is very thorough about this mod.

I don't think I need to do/change all the things suggested in this sticky post to 'fix' my occasional problem with my clutch.

I have read Bills and others posts on this and similar problems.
Bill, recently you mentioned about the K7 conical washer?

If you, or others don't mind, could you briefly post here on this thread:
  • what year/model washer I need to go to?
  • and if you think this is all I would need to fix my 'sticky' clutch problem?
Again- it's not the cable/lever sticky- it's in the clutch pack itself.

TIA

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Sounds like it is time to inspect the clutch pack.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it is time to inspect the clutch pack.
Thanks John,

I'm at work, (bored w/ nothing to do really), and I'm reading the entire thread from the link. It's 23 pages? I'm on 4.

It describes the clutch 'shudder' when taking off I tried to describe.

I think just the washer, not removing the basket and drilling the holes will work too? Others have posted that it does. I'm still looked for which yr/bike for the different conical washer to get.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, duh, it states it right there at the very beginning! Answered my own questions. If you're reading this, thanks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill V.?

Any insights? Best place to online order from- as in less shipping $., etc.?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading 24 pages of many posts on another site, I feel very confident this will take care of my clutch shuddering problem when taking off or trying to launch.

OK, I looked up the parts, and all the sites included big shipping, unless I was doing over $140, etc. to have them shipped to my door.

So I called my nearest dealer, parts were bascially the same prices, no shipping charges- same wait time, 3-4 days, etc.

So I ordered the conical washer, ~$17.50, and the Gasket ~$11.00.
With tax, just over $30.

With a lillte TLC bike maintenance time and a little money spent, I can't wait to feel how smooth take offs are going to be.
It'll be money and time well spent!

If you have read thru this thread linked, or know about this-
I'm only doing the conical washer replacement, w/o drilling the 3 extra holes in the clutch basket.
Apparently, years ago, Suzuki Australia was doing it as a dealer fix on their dime. IN the USA, if not deemed a real safety hazard- you're on your own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup in the UK too there was an official recall to have this issue fixed at Suzuki’s expense.

The new washer should fully eradicate the clutch problems you describe. I had mine done (K6 1000) and now the bike launches perfectly, every time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup in the UK too there was an official recall to have this issue fixed at Suzuki’s expense.

The new washer should fully eradicate the clutch problems you describe. I had mine done (K6 1000) and now the bike launches perfectly, every time.
Just what I like to hear/read, Thanks!

Not great that they won't do it in the states. It's def. not a recall anyways.

I'll be doing it soon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Let me know if it works for you , as mine will squeal and lurch time to time if I slip it really hard off the line

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another thing to check with a clutch judder at take off is the clutch basket. They tend to wear and become notched.
Sorry, but that might be a "big" expense, but worth it for a smooth clutch... hopefully yours is not worn too bad.

this was not my gixxer but on a bmw I had.

Just looked in the garage, and it looks like I replaced the basket when I did my slipper clutch as well (slipper clutch mechanism is the inner hub only. you are supposed to reuse or purchase the OEM basket and plates). The grooving was not as severe but you could still feel it. It was on the hub as well. I was having a little issue with 1st gear clutch take up as I can recall. Everything has been silky smooth since but it better be since I basically replaced the entire clutch.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh yeah, if you are in there, you should replace the needle bearing out of principle. Not expensive.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JCW.
Thank you for your on point input too.
I know there can be several things that can contribute to this on this clutch. I'll try and inspect everything well when I"m in there. I'm going to pick up the few parts I'll need today- they came in yesterday to my local shop.
IIRC- even my K5 LIterBike #1.0 did this too- not quite as bad though. Neither one of them has had the clutch slip under heavy load either.
I do have the time this weekend to do this, but I honestly might do other 'projects' instead since it still runs great, and I"m getting used to dealing with it at takeoffs.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Drilling the basket to get more oil into it seemed to help a lot of people. Best advise I can give you is be patient with this one. Measure the clutch plates and if they're close to the lower limit, go ahead and replace them. Like JCW said, check the contact faces on the basket too. Be slow and thorough, and if something looks like it should be replaced, order it and wait.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good advice in these immediate gratification, short attention span times.
Luckily it's still 100% rideable. I've gotten use to the takeoffs, and take my time at lights. I've stalled it more than once.
I don't do 'hole shots' or race 1/4's. I'm still looking forward to a silky smooth clutch on take offs again though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts