Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ON BHF's. Sure the virtual helps, and having rode over there to watch some Adv. Group friends in MotoVid ride the w/e before helped too.

I was able to take Friday and Saturday off work so I arrived there right as they opened at 6pm Friday.
I found a good spot close to the restrooms, meeting halls, track etc. I got set up and happened over to a campsite with a fire going and chatted with the 2 riders there, and Int and Adv and we drank a few beers.

Saturday morning went well. I was in one of the faster groups and moving OK. The session before lunch, they open it up to passing only on the 2 straights, and one of them is pretty short, but easily doable. It's not that bad when you're already up there with some faster N riders, but then you catch the rear 'driving miss daisy' group and that's what has always frustrated me with this system. I also understand from a safety point of view, there probably is no better way to do it.
In one of the sessions after lunch, I was moving well and had clean track. Another groups CR passed me, took a LONG look back at me (he didn't tap his tail) and kept riding. I followed. After every set of turns, he would look back, and sure enough, I was RIGHT there! This went on for 3 clean laps, he would step in up some, look back, I was still there. Then hit some traffic in the turns (where I'm not supposed to pass). He passed one on a short straight on the inside (a section I'm not supposed to pass) and I followed him in too!
I was thinking oh hell, I'm probably going to get reamed for that!- I didn't.
Then the session ended, and I rode over to him when we went off track and introduced myself.
I asked about a Int. bump from him, and he said quite honestly that he wasn't following me. I pleaded yes, but for 3 laps, every time you looked back, I was RIGHT there! So I had to have been riding your lines at that speed!
He agreed and asked me to talk to my CR.

So I told that story to Jon, my CR who had already seen I was one of the smoother faster people in N.
Much to my amazement he said, OK, then why don't you skip this N group and you and I will go at the back of I group and I can see how you ride in I group when we pass riders, etc.
I said, but Jon, I'll be a lower I rider going at the back, what If I can't pass any riders?
He said 'oh, you'll pass a few' It was the 8th, last I session of the day also, so many of the dregs had already packed up anyways LOL.
I passed a few- cleanly. I thought it was 1 rider, Jon said no, I actually passed 2 riders!

He sits me down after the session, and I really didn't think he was going to give me a bump! He didn't start with congratulations.
He talked for minutes, starting off with how my lines we 'spot on'! He talked about staying on the gas and braking later for T1, etc. He said I had good BP and was very predictable.
A few of the faster ones who even started about 30 seconds or more ahead did catch us. He wanted to see that too.
He said I wasn't spooked when they passed close, etc. ( I am comfortable with that having ridden all those years inches away from other bicyclists) He liked that too.
I was ready after he said all this for the, you still have to work on... which he did say and I so have LOTS/everything to work on- but then he said I/we feel you're ready to move to Int. so you can pass more often and have more time to work on these skills without being held up by slower riders so much in the turns.

Yaw Hoo! My 3rd TD, first time on this track and I made it to Intermediate!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saturday was fairly uneventful. A few crashes, no many, no helicoper extractions LOL. We had 11 riders in Group 2!

Sunday was better, only had 3 riders in our group! I think it was father and son. The younger one had a clapped out carbureted R6. It ran poorly and even on the slow first few seesions, he couldn't keep up on the straights- barely going 75mph! He was OK on the turns.
So on the 'open' session' when you didn't have to follow the leader, we went down behind me in T3. Jon our CR said that he was following him and he went down- wasn't sure why. That caused like 3 others to go down too for some reason- just when they were checking up or something. NOT Jon the CR though. I kept going and had clean track, until that had happened and it black flagged us about 10 minutes early of the 20 minute session.
Oh well, longer lunch, and cleaner track afterwards.
The riders were all OK.

8 sessions both days. On Saturday, because I went in I for my I eval., so I missed one session on Saturday.
So I did 15 sessions total, 251.6 miles! ( I finally remembered to set my trip meter!)
And it's 74F in the back of my truck in the garage this morning. LOL

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like your were riding pretty damn good! Congrats
Just curious but did u have a lap timer? Any idea you lap times around BHF?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It was nice that my 'ol truck with 259,000+ miles on it ran well the whole way, worn 4 tires and all! LOL

At night, I'd put my Gix under my bike cover and put it under the edge of the pop up canopy- the canopy I've been using for about 20 years. First at the beach for my catamaran sailing, now for camping, and TD/camping.
Instead of across the rear seat, I felt I was more comfortable in the bed wth a thin foam pad, an old sleeping bag under me, and me in another bag. It was nice, fresh air, not too cold, no bug problem either!
I put the canopy over the bed at night, then pull the truck up for space under it in the day time.

Because I did the last group, of the last session of the day - 8th, then showered (NICE facilities!) I was one of the last ones to leave!
All packed up to go home.

Those ramps really worked well. On Sunday Morning 2 riders showed up and pitted across from me- and each only had 1 ramp. I offered one of mine as a second ramp to walk down beside, and they said 'sure, I'll try it'.
They're now hooked too on the 2 ramp method. EASY by yourself.

I set my trip meter before the first session Saturday, and didn't ride anywhere else.
In 15 total sessions I did 251.6 miles- nothing but track!

So I get home last night after 8pm, my wonderful wife waiting for me. She even had these awesome Chinese pastries and she made me her Chinese dumplings too!
I have today/Monday off too!
I already had one of our SUV's out of the garage, so I backed the truck/bike and all in the garage last night- only unloading the dirty clothes and my suit.
I'll 'unpack' today.
Good thing I didn't leave it on the driveway last night too! It rained All early morning and morning.
Here's what it looks like packed in the garage, I have all the back seat in the cab and the pass front too. Plenty of room!

All in all, a very successful weekend! No mechanicals- truck or bike. Beautiful weather- on the hot side, but really nice. Bugs were not a problem, as in not bad, I had some 'off' too.
On Day 3 I got my I bump.
Brought a shiny bike home again!

I would like to thank all those that were responsible for me making the decision to do some track days. The more I do, the more eye opening it is.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your were riding pretty damn good! Congrats
Just curious but did u have a lap timer? Any idea you lap times around BHF?
No timer, and no one to time me as of now.
I honestly have NO idea.
If my fast friends in Adv. are running 14's, I'd like to think maybe 2 minutes?
NO idea though.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can add more drama, more stories about a few crashes about people I met in the paddock, but I think this will do LOL.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to mention again that Blackhawk Farms Raceway is a really nice facility.

I've only rode 3 tracks so far. But BHF is really nice! Adequate camping/pit areas with many trees around too.
So garages for rent too.

Nice large bathrooms and shower facilities- with endless warm/hot water.

No separate entry/camping fees, and no fees for spectators coming later in a different vehicle.

A decent track surface, again, I've only ridden 3 now.

Although I brought all my own food and drink, coffee, etc.-
The snack bar/restaurant has a complete breakfast and lunch menu that everyone was raving about!
I looked at the posted menus- Normal/low prices too!
Then they have a really nice meeting hall/dining hall right next door to lounge around and eat, have riders meetings, etc.

Seemed to have an excellent sag wagon/medical crew right there on site too.

I by far liked the whole package much better than Autobahn CC, or Road America.

If you get the chance to go and ride there- hopefully you won't be disappointed.
I recommend it.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
My acute senses are detecting a potential new trackday addict in the vicinity. Keep your eyes peeled people, you know what this means...Todd will soon be seeking new & improved funding sources so watch your wallets :LOL: :coffee:(y)Carry On with a great riding song.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I agree with Hyde. (Excellent choice of song by the way). I’m sure it won’t be long before Todd tires of changing tires and gets another bike so the current one can be his dedicated track weapon.

Funding is easy. Place an ad on Fakebook telling people they should buy a book from you that will reap huge returns for some nominal amount like $9.99.

Contents of book:

“Place an ad on fakebook telling people they should buy a book from you that will reap huge returns for some nominal amount like $9.99. “

Lol.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is Jon Pelote- my CR for the BHF's weekend!
Great coach!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts