Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my first GSXR (600, it's dead sexy!) from some guy on Craigslist. It was a reasonable deal, the bike rode well, everything worked, title looked clean, so I bought the bike. VIN wasn't "stolen" or anything either. I get the bike home and go to the DMV, ready to ride and it turns out the bike has a lien on it, and I can't get it titled now. I should have caught it, but I didn't know that "Document Number" meant it had a lien on that state's titles. I was too excited to get a blue/white Suzuki in good condition to wait at the dmv that day. I rode it a good 50 miles before going to the DMV in my state. It's probably a shady question, but anybody have suggestions as to how I could get the bike titled? Could I just buy the frame of another Suzuki and "swap" VIN's? (I doubt I woudl need to worry abotu the engine serial number, the DMV just glanced at the VIN on the bottom left.) Probably not legal, but effectively the same as swapping the engine to another frame, right? I'm probabyl willing to do anything so I can get my new bike on the road... SOON!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would contact the guy you bought it from and give him the chance to make it right.... contact the lean holder to find out how much the the lean is and pay it and get your money back from the guy you bought it from or have the guy pay it and if he dont than contact a lawyer....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
im kinda in the same situation well i just bought an 07 gixxer 600 and waiting for the title transfer from the previous owner to its current owner and then to me but the guy seems super cool so everything should be fine. he told me it was a clean title so...........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Title

The guy gave me the title, but it apparently had a lien I didn't know about. The original owner is gone, and the bank won't tell me how much the lien is, but the lady said a repo truck "might" have been sent to my house so I should hide it or get my money back. The guy wont answer calls, so I have the feeling I am screwed... I want to ride so bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vins?

I think I might see if I can buy the frame of a bike with good VIN #s, and swap them. The DMV only looked at the one on the bottom left. Anybody wanna trade VINs? haha

·
Registered
326 Posts
The guy gave me the title, but it apparently had a lien I didn't know about. The original owner is gone, and the bank won't tell me how much the lien is, but the lady said a repo truck "might" have been sent to my house so I should hide it or get my money back. The guy wont answer calls, so I have the feeling I am screwed... I want to ride so bad.
Just go to his house and get Bruce Lee on his ass!!!
But yes a buddy of mine did the frame thing with stolen bikes. Or you can just buy a totaled one prob. cheaper and do the same thing.
Actually ya know what that pisses me off!!!! You live around Portland Oregon? Its a long shot but you got a helping hand in the Bruce lee scenario if your close.
:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal:arsenal

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I would not give them the bike until the stuff is resolved. If you let them get it they WILL tell you to work it out with that person, which you should but i will not let the bike go AT ALL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try your best to contact the seller to resolve the situation...

I don't know about other states, but here in Cali you don't get a title until the vehicle is paid off. The lien holder hands it over once its paid off.

If the dude doesn't clear up the title or give you the cash back,
you need to beat his ass.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
that doesnt really make sense usually if the bike has a lien on it the owner wouldnt have the title. this is also a perfect example not to buy a bike with a lien on it, make sure its paid for before u buy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That really sucks man. But try to go about getting ahold of the cat you bought the bike from LEGALLY first! If the person keeps ducking and diving you then think about getting a lawyer and find out what your options are. Then if you must processed with legal action to protect self and your "new" property. Give the guy only what you feel is a reasonable amount of time to correct the problem buy either him paying off the lien with the money you gave him. Don't offer to pay it off as someone else mention cause then the guy can still stiff you and you'll just be in a worst off position then you are now. Did you do up a bill of sale with the guy? A bill of sale would be great if you have to go to court.

Just my .02 cent here....

·
Registered
36 Posts
that doesnt really make sense usually if the bike has a lien on it the owner wouldnt have the title. this is also a perfect example not to buy a bike with a lien on it, make sure its paid for before u buy.
Not true, in my home state they buyer keeps the title! It will have the lien holder info on it. So just in case something like this happens the "new" buyer can look at it and see that someone has a lien on the bike.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In Florida if you have the title, you own the vehicle. Do you know how much the lien is for? Maybe even contact the police and file a stolen vehicle report? I mean this guy sold you something that was not his

·
Registered
36 Posts
In Florida if you have the title, you own the vehicle. Do you know how much the lien is for? Maybe even contact the police and file a stolen vehicle report? I mean this guy sold you something that was not his
I'm not being a smartass by anymeans here. But by him going to the police to fill a stolen vehicle report on a vehicle that is now in his possession either:

1. Get him in some kind of trouble?

or

2. He would have to hand the bike over to the police because it's consider stolen property? And until they figure out what is going on the bike would be impounded or worst sent back to the original owner that it is titled to.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
if he goes to the police and the bike is somehow stolen or has to be returned there goes the money he just spent. he needs to go back to the guy and get him to pay it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I bought my bike brand new, and they sent me the title np. But it had the lien number on the line on the title the DMV will not re-title it, unless it is accompied by the letter from the bank saying the lien had been paid and is closed. I know this has already been established here in the thread, so technically all you need to do is have the guy you bought it from contact the bank that he recieved the loan from and get that letter.

I know eaiser said then done, but if i was you i would go back after this guy and get your money or get that letter. It stupid for you to have to go and basically buy a vin, even though you can. But you have to watch that even, because if the bike has been wrecked, you will have a hard time getting a title for that vin. Some states will only give salvage titles etc....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well I bought my bike brand new, and they sent me the title np. But it had the lien number on the line on the title the DMV will not re-title it, unless it is accompied by the letter from the bank saying the lien had been paid and is closed. I know this has already been established here in the thread, so technically all you need to do is have the guy you bought it from contact the bank that he recieved the loan from and get that letter.
This is how it works in NY. I bought my bike with a lien on the title but I also had a letter from HSBC releasing the title to the former owner. I took both to the DMV along with a receipt and got a clean title in my name. Get the letter from the lien holder and all is right in your world. Switch vin numbers and I have a feeling you may be looking at fraud charges.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts