Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help. I removed my mirrors but the bolts stayed. I tried to add a bolt to the other side then unscrew, but did not work. I tried to vice grip the other side but the bolt on the other side is to stuck, it will not budge. I believe the only way is to cut it off but with what tool is best. Any recommendations or any other solutions?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is weird. Try backing off the nuts from the bottom side of the bolt till they spin freely then put a second nut on to jam them and unscrew the studs. I am wondering if the studs are threaded and the nuts have jammed them tight.
I tried to put a bolt on the other side an unscrew the other side but it just drives that bolt into the plastic. I can shake the bolt it is not tight in there but will not come out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried taking the nut off and tapping it up through the hole? I am wondering if there is a ridge on that stud that used to be tightened against the mirror assembly and that is what is not passing through the hole in the faring stay. The stud went in from the top so should push back out the top if the nut is removed.
I tried to tap it out but nothing happened I hit it with a hammer and tried to pull from the bottom but did nothing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will you post a pic of the mirror you removed where it attached? The stub should be attached to the mirror and that little nut on should tighten it down...
View attachment 296431
Here is all the pics i have. I got rid of the mirrors but i took a pic from google of the same ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, that is just where I went Leroy. You need to remove the nuts from the studs and pull the studs out from the top. They should not have come out of the mirrors. Did it do this on both sides?
Yes, on the right side both studs are there and on the left one is left and one stayed in the mirror.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it turns and wiggles you could just pull the fairings off and see what's going on.
Sounds like somethings been epoxied repaired together but not sure what.
That bolt should just slide out from the bottom now...unless someone sandwiched a locknut between the fairing and the stay in place of the rubber spacer.
Is there a tool i can use small enough to cit the bolt off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Need to remove the nut that is on the bottom. Then they will come out from the top. Grab the stud from the top, tight with some vice grips (good ones), and get the nut to break free on the bottom.
Trust me i tried that. It is like that shit is welded on there. i can not turn it. i think my only bet is to cut it off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I don't understand what pics 938 and 842 are of. Have you removed the mirror housing, it's stalk, and the electrical leads? Is what remains the base and the studs that thread into it? It looks different than the base in the partzilla drawing or your google screenshot. Were those aftermarket mirrors?

P.S. Your pics are consistently too close and out of focus.
They were stock mirrors, i took the mirrors off and the electric cable was attached but the bolt and screw stayed on the bike, except one bolt/screw on the left of the bike stayed attached to the mirror as i managed to get the bolt loose and unscrew it as it should have. but all others are stuck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So you turned the nut on the underside of the fairing and 3 or the 4 mirror bolts unscrewed from the mirror?

I’m guessing the fourth bolt that was attached to the mirror after you removed the nut came off the fairing ok?

If It was my bike, I’d put 2 nuts on the thread above the fairing and lock them together. Then hold the lower one with a wrench. Use a socket on the lower nut and turn it off. The bolt should then come out ok from the top.

If there is not enough room to put 2 nuts on the upper part of the bolt, you can carefully grind 2 sides to make them flat and use an adjustable wrench/nut fu*ker to hold the bolt. That’s what I had to do with my sons WR250.
i tried that all that happened was the nut i attached to the top just got drove into the plastic as the bolt on the bottom is just that tight/stuck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This is easier shown than explained... but here it goes.

Get 2 nuts that will thread onto the top portion of the stud. Tighten those two as hard as you can against each other not down to the base of the stud. Then hold the nut that is on the bottom of the top portion of the stud with a wrench and use your ratchet to break that bottom nut loose.

Soaking the bottom nut in a little bit of PB Blaster 30 mins before you go at it can make a big difference.
That sounds like a good idea. i'll give it a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts