Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
That is weird. Try backing off the nuts from the bottom side of the bolt till they spin freely then put a second nut on to jam them and unscrew the studs. I am wondering if the studs are threaded and the nuts have jammed them tight.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
Have you tried gently tapping the stud through with a hammer and punch? It shouldn't be threaded in that hole, just going through the rubber pad, the faring, and the faring stay.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
Have you tried taking the nut off and tapping it up through the hole? I am wondering if there is a ridge on that stud that used to be tightened against the mirror assembly and that is what is not passing through the hole in the faring stay. The stud went in from the top so should push back out the top if the nut is removed.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
it has to be pulled out the top I believe.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
Yup, that is just where I went Leroy. You need to remove the nuts from the studs and pull the studs out from the top. They should not have come out of the mirrors. Did it do this on both sides?

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
What Spyder said. Cutting it is gonna be the last resort. If you do you would cut it below and pull it up and out the way it went in.

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
Even if you cut the bolt from below you'd have to remove the fairings to get the top half off right? There must be something sandwiched between the stay and the fairings to keep the stud from coming out.

I'd take the fairings off first to see what the previous owner did exactly.

Then I'd take a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and attack that nut rather than the bolt I think...
It is weird JCW. The studs would have had to have gone in from the top as they were in the mirrors. I was wondering if there was a collar pressed into the stud that was originally meant to jam against the mirror and fix the stud from turning. I am suspecting that flange or collar just fits through the holes and may be catching under the faring. You may be right that the farings now have to get pulled or lifted out of the way to jiggle it into the right spot.

Reactions: JCW

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
The nut has to come off one way or another then it will lift out the top from the mirror side.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Mod of the North
28,832 Posts
At this point I am leaning towards taking a dremel or angle grinder and grinding one side of the nut off. That will do it and is easier than trying to get cut off wheel between the nut and the faring stay. Grinding one of the flat sides of the nut down to the threads of the bolt should leave enough nut to get a wrench on if you need to later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts