Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help...I bought a bike 2005 gsxr 1k with motor knocking and I had a mechanic go through my motor. I am going back with all stock bottom end of the motor and the mechanic said i could: Option 1- go with aftermarket performance cams and pistons(PC Brand I Think) to increase my horse power without boring. Stock pistons cost more but stock cams are cheaper. The 2nd option is to bore out cylinder chamber and go with oversized pistons along with the aftermarket cams (for some reason, same price). Will i still be able to ride around town and cruise with these upgrades? I dont want jus a drag strip bike. Is it worth paying the extr money for these parts(cams)? I wanted to obtain more horse power than stock at the cheapest cost and the mechanic recommended this. I still wanna be able to run 93 octane gas. What compression does a stock gsxr 1k run? Im looking at $3200 total- parts($2000) and labor($1200) :headscrat

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bore= displacement. If done properly you really don't have any down side. Larger motor, greater power from low to high end. Make sure the rods on up to the set up

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
The aftermarket pistons will increase the compression ratio, so you will likely have to run something higher than 90 octane. If you rebore the engine, you will also have to have the cylinder wall Nikasil coating reapplied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.